Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor Review

ADMIN

Administrator
Bill Ruger was a giant in the firearms world. Yes, some of the Ruger line has had some ups and downs over the years but with each problem there was a solution that made them stronger. My first single shot center fire rifle was a beautiful Ruger #1. In the early days you could pay a little more for better wood and that rifle had a very well figured walnut stock. Ruger currently makes five of their rifle models in the 6.5 Creedmoor. It is the 77VT and the Ruger#1V that will interest the long range shooter.Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor Review, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Thanks for the nice write-up.

I find it interesting that the first "similar thread" listed below is about Ruger's decision to drop the 6.5 Creedmore. Is there information out that contradicts that thread? If so will be interesting to see which of the 6.5 rounds survives.

I do believe that there is room for a round that fits the .308 action and that makes the most of the caliber with 140 grain fodder.

Silvertp

olsingleshot

Well, you went straight to the source so sounds like the 6.5 Creedmore will be good for this year.

After my initial post I searched around and didn't find many Creedmores that are in stock, not sure if they are sold out or haven't been produced yet for 2012.

Silvertp

The Ruger may be hard to find because Ruger is way behind on orders of all firearms. The 6.5 Creedmoor is alive and well. In my article I even said that Browning is now chambering a couple of their A bolts in the Creedmoor. Savage still has quite a few models in the Creedmoor, so it is far from dead. In fact the .260 looks worse off. I like them both.

If and when I can buy 6.5 Creedmore brass made by Winchester I will consider getting one. My ammo stores do not have 6.5 Creedmore brass and often those selling brass on-line are sold out.

Making 6.5 Creedmore brass from .22-.250 or whatever seems like a chore. What important advantages does the 6.5 Creedmore have over the .260 Rem or common sense ammo production friendly 6.5-.308?

Every ammo component is starting to get scarce again. The 6.5 and the .260 are ballistically the same. If you shoot them out of a single shot rilfe there is no advantage to either one. But if you shoot a multiple shot rifle with a magazine you can load longer bullets in the Creedmoor. Also there are very few factory loadings for the .260 and more for the Creedmoor. I own and shoot both and understand where you are coming from. With Lapua making .260 brass now, it makes a great round.

I have had no problems with the quality of the Hornady Brass. It is of good quality and requires very little prep in most cases It has required no prep at all. If you would try a batch I think you would be more than pleased with it. I have been using it with the 123gr Sierra MK bullets with varget and am shooting holes at 100yd touching each other My range only has a 100yd rifle range. I find their brass to be far superior to the winchester and remington I have tried in my 30/06 rifles. The brass is in my opinion at least if not better than the Nosler brass I have used. The brass is also cheaper than the nosler brass. There also seems to be a better supply of brass than there was a few months ago when you couldn't even find primers. lightbulbgun)

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor Review, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
I've been looking for several years to find a good, reliable caliber to replace the big ole' hammer I've been using for many years, and as it turns out I've found it. The 7Mag I've been using has been beating me senseless for the last 15 years and as I've aged, my shoulder has gotten worse. and I've started pushing and missing more and more shots. I tried a new 6.5 Creedmoor,lightbulb by Savage in the LRH topped by a 6.5x20x50 scope and I couldn't be happier. Still getting it broke in at the range and learning how to shoot a bolt after the Ruger #1 but I couldn't stand the bite for another Ruger #1 in the Creedmoor. The Savage has the accutrigger and accustock and so far I'm not disappointedgun)

I know exactly what you mean about recoil. The Ruger#1 is a design not known for handling recoil but the Ruger#1 in 6.5 Creedmoor was not too bad at all. I am shooting a 6.5x47 Lapua now and it is really sweet. Look for an up coming article about this round. I like Savage also and I am sure you will feel better after a round of shooting.

I too shoot both cartridges,I have chambered a couple of barrels in the 260 Improved version. I definitly get significant gains in velocity that way, especially now with the fine lapua brass available. I do however load the 6.5 in my f class rifle. I have 1800 rnds through one of my 6.5 barrels and still top accuracy, while with the 260 Imp I seem to begin to lose accuracy at about 1000. I realize I could load milder loads and do that some times. These things really matter at longer ranges. I have chambered barrels in both calibers as a hunting "carry" rifle and of course I cant tell the difference in recoil, performance or cool factor. I can get about 3000 fps out of the 260 Imp with a 140 g berger and about 75fps less out of my f class 6.5. 260 is a 28" bbl and the 6.5 is a 30". The 260 is still a sexy cartridge and the 6.5 cm is really generating a following.

Im a little late to the discussion. I am interested in the 6.5 Creedmoor as a hunting round. What would make a good bbl length to maximize the velocity while not becoming to long. Are the standard 22-24 inch tubes adequate? I just read that the ruger 77 had a 28" bbl. As a varmint rig that is ok but i would rather not carry that around.

thanks for you help

A reasonable question. The answer has to be that the velocity for a particular barrel length is a function of that length. You make the choice for your particular application,develop your load and learn the capabilities of that load. That I am sure seems circular but I don't intend that. Your choice of barrel and load will have its velocity. That velocity will be useful for a long ways shooting paper or prairie dogs,less far shooting coyotes, a little less shooting deer. Does that make sense? In f class match last Saturday, I saw shooters shoot very effectively the 500yds with 20 inch bbl AR rifles and 22 inch bolt guns. My bullet arrived out of my 30 " bbl going faster, but the paper doesnt care. They might not shoot that far with that load bbl combo at an elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.