Rl 17 in 6.5 creedmoor

Joefrazell

I developed a load for my ruger american predator in 6.5 creedmoor that shot .5-.6 moa using rl17 and 143 eldx consistently. Well I haven't shot it for groups since it's beem hot outside. When I developed it it was 35-40. I just shot at 100 yards and its shooting .75- 1"? It's 90 out now. Does this sound like a temp issue? Maybe I need to go with a different powder?

Probably, if you checked your mv on the original load, check it now. If it's higher, it's definately a powder temp issue. I've noticed vv powder do the same thing with my wife's 204.

Well It looks like I'll be trying to find some h4350. I can fund imr 4350. Are they close? Should I try imr or wait to find h? I've got like 30 rnds left of the rl17 is all

Hodgins and imr enduron powders are temp insensitive. The other imr powders will react to temperature. I believe there is a new enduron powder that should work well in the creedmoor

Well It looks like I'll be trying to find some h4350. I can fund imr 4350. Are they close?

Good Luck with your quest for H4350. Some folks can find it others can't.

The two powders H/IMR 4350 are SIMILAR, which means you have to test them with your rifle and bullets. There is also Accurate 4350...

I have been using Hodgdon Hybrid 100V with good results and it meters smoothly.

I tried RL 17 and found the same results you did.
I developed it in the winter and it fell apart in the summer. ES went from under 10 to in the 50s. The funny thing is, i did not have this problem with 30-06. It remained accurate and the ES didn't change with any significance.

I switched to IMR 4451 and haven't looked back. I did not even bother looking for H4350. I haven't found it in 8 pounders for years, and only a few one pounders at a time.

H4350 is my go to powder in my Ruger PR 6.5 Creedmore. It's very temperature stable. With the difficulty of acquiring H4350 I also developed a hunting load shown below with 143 Hornady ELDX using 45.6gr of H4831sc/Fed210m/Hornady brass. Accuracy was Very good with.18MOA@200 yards (bottom photo), 2705FPS, SD 4. Being a bit slower burning the H4350 is a slightly compressed load due to COAL limitations of my RPR's magazine. I'm seated.050" off the lands for a COAL of 2.71.
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_2398.JPG

Is the 100 a extreme powder? How have your results been with it?

Hodgdon Hybrid 100V is not an Extreme powder but a different type of technology based on high energy, efficient burning and shorter stick powder using radiuses on the ends of the sticks to aid in dispensing the powder more readily. It is also a cooler burning powder which can help with curtailing throat erosion.

I have found the 100V useful in about a dozen cartridge which I reload for ranging from the 22-250 up through the .375 H&H. Obviously, this isn't with all bullet weights for each cartridge but at least a couple for each case. This includes the 6mm and 6.5mm Creedmoor cases as well. Any of these combinations will yield reasonable velocities but not at the top end because of the burn temperature. But the data I've gathered indicated very consistent velocities and lower ES.

My temperature range is fairly small since it's warm to hot here most of the time. The only time I check loads is when I get drawn for elk up in the higher altitudes when there's snow on the ground. :D

Regards.

This was my load at 300 yards when developed during the winter. Just like you've experienced mine opened up considerably during the warmer weather .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 401
So with as dumb as this sounds has anyone tried putting ammo in there fridge and transporting it to the range in a cooler to keep it cool and loading 1 at a time to get things dialed in? I'm planning on using this for a hunt this fall is my reason for thinking. As it sits it's still capable of hunting with but am curious if that would tighten groups back up and simulate the fall season.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.