Review - SuperCHRONO Accoustic Chronograph

+1, i love mine, i do have a 1 3/4 MOA POI change on my 284 win, but it does not affect accuracy. Two days ago i went to the range in the 100 degree heat (for velocity data) and shot five rounds with the magnetospeed on. All five rounds went into .485 CTC at 100 yards, which is equal to what is does without the unit. What tickled me pink was my ES and SD, my ES was 13 and SD was 5, but there was one shot that was off and it was the cold fouled bore shot and if i take it out i had an ES of 3 and SD of 1.5. :cool: (Also, i only gained 7 fps in the 100 degree heat vs the 74 degree heat in Townsend with H4350)

Good info!!

Jeff

phorwath,

I swear NOWHERE in the literature supplied with the unit did they mention setting it up more than 10 feet and preferably 15 ft. Maybe I need to reread the instructions.

AZ,

Here's the information I found at the Manufacturer's web site at the below link on July 10, 2013:

"Why place the chronograph at least 10 feet or 3 meters in front of the muzzle?

- This is to avoid detecting the muzzle blast itself. The muzzle blast depends on the load. You will get correct readings from a supersonic .22 LR very close to the muzzle. For a large magnum load you may have to increase the distance to 12 or 15 feet, four to five meters.
"

Here's the link: http://www.steinertsensingsystems.com/frequently-asked-questions/

I just tried this link and see it's not working for me. Neither are some of the other 'Steinert' links. Might just be a temporary thing, or something more serious...

Too bad the instructions aren't more explicit. It doesn't sound like this unit is easily employed at public shooting ranges. I don't shoot at public ranges, and won't be when I'm recording down range velocity, so I'm not concerned about that aspect. I'm simply hoping to confirm it will record accurate velocity. If it doesn't, its useless to me. If it does, I'll likely purchase one.

Last edited:
+1, i love mine, i do have a 1 3/4 MOA POI change on my 284 win, but it does not affect accuracy. Two days ago i went to the range in the 100 degree heat (for velocity data) and shot five rounds with the magnetospeed on. All five rounds went into .485 CTC at 100 yards, which is equal to what it does without the unit.

It's fortunate that the accuracy of your rifle is unaffected. More often than not, shooters should expect a change in POI and accuracy when fastening the MagnetoSpeed to their muzzle - compared to shooting without the MagnetoSpeed attached to the muzzle. The Browning Boss System has demonstrated that just a small change in adjustment of the location of a weight fastened at the muzzle alters accuracy. So much so that the entire purpose of the Boss system is to enable a shooter to fine tune the accuracy of any given load fired from their rifle.

ADJUSTABLE MUZZLE BRAKE | Brownells

We tested all 3 at one of the Townsend Shoots, the 3rd being my Oehler 35. All 3 measuring the same bullets from 4 different rifles and calibers. I ordered a magneto speed after the test. The super has some benefits like the ability to be shot over at longer distances. But in the end I liked the Magneto speed better for my needs.

Jeff

Was there any difference in measured speeds between the magneto speed and the Oehler 35?

Phorwath,

Your link didn't work. Even tried typing in the first part. Would love to read those questions.

The answer they offered for larger magnums said 10 feet then later said 12 to 15 feet. Funny how they can't give a definitive answer.

I will need to bring a ladder and my binos to read the unit at that distance.

Here is a PDF file that Steinertsensing put on line:

http://www.steinertsensing.com/pub_docs/files/SuperChrono-Data-Sheet.pdf

This is copied from it :

"Detection distance:

From 25cm (10'') from the muzzle to any downrange distance for supersonic speed"

I am through messing around with this unit. It just isn't made for bench shooting especially at a range with other shooters. Can't get up every few shots to manipulate the unit which is downrange. Can't read it from bench and velocities are not consistent. It is going back.

Phorwath,

Your link didn't work. Even tried typing in the first part. Would love to read those questions.

The answer they offered for larger magnums said 10 feet then later said 12 to 15 feet. Funny how they can't give a definitive answer.

I will need to bring a ladder and my binos to read the unit at that distance.

Here is a PDF file that Steinertsensing put on line:

http://www.steinertsensing.com/pub_docs/files/SuperChrono-Data-Sheet.pdf

This is copied from it :

"Detection distance:

From 25cm (10'') from the muzzle to any downrange distance for supersonic speed"

I am through messing around with this unit. It just isn't made for bench shooting especially at a range with other shooters. Can't get up every few shots to manipulate the unit which is downrange. Can't read it from bench and velocities are not consistent. It is going back.

AZ,
I realized my link to Frequently Asked Questions wasn't working after I posted it. And it's still not working this morning. Dunno why. Some of the other Steinert links aren't working either. Wondering if the company has gone belly up, but it could just be a temporary glitch with their server. Sorry the unit didn't work out for you. Others have had some disappointment also. I was holding out hope for a better experience.

Belly up? That wouldn't be good.

I also unsuccessfully tried to open up a few of the Steinert sites the last few days.

Going back to my CED......

I just spent 2 more hours researching anything and everything SuperChrono related on the web. Hardcore test results remain scarce. Some folk report good correlation to other quality light sensing chronographs.

The manufacturer (Steinert) has announced they'll be coming out with a SuperChrono version that communicates with smartphones via bluetooth. This will allow a guy to see the recorded velocity from a smart phone with the SuperChrono set up out off the muzzle. Rumor is the bluetooth communication model may be available later this year - 2013. I'll wait till then before purchasing one. I will also wait until their web sites come back on line to ensure the company is on solid ground financially. This will also allow time for other user reviews to be posted on the various Forums. I'm in no rush.

I have been recently using magneto speed V2.

Until now I have never had much use for a chronograph
because they never gave accurate enough readings or where
consistent.

I have only used it so far with my 338 Edge Imp and 338 Allen Mag.
I was a shooting proven loads out of both of these rifles. They both
showed an E.S. under 20 and an S.D. Under 10. The magneto also spit
out velocity numbers I knew these loads should be producing.

With my F1 (chrony which isn't known as a top of the line chrono) es
was around 50 with the same loads and velocity would be all over the place.
That's if I got a reading period.

In the short amount of time I've been using the magneto speed I have never had
a missed reading. And the whole set up is simple and easy to use.

One thing is for sure gentlemen, in the past year the chronograph industry has made leaps and bounds in accurate units for us to choose from. Just like the rangefinders. We not have a few good chronographs to choose from.

Jeff

I am the owner of Steinert Sensing Systems, maker of the SuperChrono. I am posting this in response to the comments about links to our website not working.

That's correct, the website has been hacked. It's been unavailable since August 17th. We have moved to new, ultra-secure server to make sure this will not happen again. The website will be available again shortly.

As for reviews there's one in the October issue of Guns: The Speed Read | Guns Magazine

The leading German magazine Visier tested the SuperChrono against a pair of reference chronos and found deviations of just .15% or just a few feet per second. You'll find this on our web site when it becomes available again.

The main thing about the SuperChrono is that it has to be aimed carefully and aligned with the bullet path. If you use the spirit level instead of the sights the readings will be off by about 200 ft/s.

The spirit level is there just to give you a general idea during setup with the tripod. If you place the chrono directly on the ground without a tripod the shockwave will reflect upwards and the readings will be off.

Place the SuperChrono 10 feet in front of the muzzle for most loads. Magnum loads may have a longer muzzle blast and to make sure you get reliable readings, place it 15 feet in front of the muzzle.

I am the owner of Steinert Sensing Systems, maker of the SuperChrono. I am posting this in response to the comments about links to our website not working.

That's correct, the website has been hacked. It's been unavailable since August 17th. We have moved to new, ultra-secure server to make sure this will not happen again. The website will be available again shortly.

As for reviews there's one in the October issue of Guns: The Speed Read | Guns Magazine

Thanks for explaining and for the reference to the article/reviews. I'll check it out when your web site comes back online.

+1 For the MS, I got mine a few weeks ago. The ease of set up and use are a big plus. Why anyone would want a unit they have to get up and walk to to get results is beyond my comprehension that could get tiresome at 1000 yds. (pharworthlightbulb) We have used this on 3 rifles so far with no noticeable change in accuracy. On my 7RM the only thing I noticed was a poi shift to the left .25" but the accuracy did not change. On my buddy's 7RM he had no change what so ever, I don't know if the muzzle brake made the diff. on mine or not, he has no muzzle brake. On my 300WM there was no change in either poi, or accuracy. Jeff is certainly correct in just plugging in the numbers and being good to go. On my Buddy's 7RM he shot a 5 shot group waiting a couple of min. between shots got his average of 2980fps put it in to Ballistic program went to 643 yds dialed the come ups and all but dead centered a 8" round steel plate. drove back to 825 yds as far as we could shoot put 3 more on the same plate all in a little over 4" all 3 shots were a 1.5" to the right but he did not dial anything for spin drift, there was almost no wind and what there was was pretty much at 12:00 o clock. With the ease of use,accurate info, quick setup, and no worries about proper distance, light or alignment. The MS will change the way shooters look at crony's in the future. JMO Yeah I like mine:D

+1 For the MS, I got mine a few weeks ago. The ease of set up and use are a big plus. Why anyone would want a unit they have to get up and walk to to get results is beyond my comprehension that could get tiresome at 1000 yds. (phorwathlightbulb) We have used this on 3 rifles so far with no noticeable change in accuracy. On my 7RM the only thing I noticed was a poi shift to the left .25" but the accuracy did not change. On my buddy's 7RM he had no change what so ever, I don't know if the muzzle brake made the diff. on mine or not, he has no muzzle brake. On my 300WM there was no change in either poi, or accuracy. :D

I have my reasons, and they're meaningful, for me. But I'm tickled pink the MS is the solution for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.