Review - SuperCHRONO Accoustic Chronograph

I was also ready to buy the superchrono. Makes me hesitate a little. Please let us know what you think Grey Fox when you do your comparison with the magnetospeed. Thanks Bruce

Thanks for the review. I am also sick of using a chrono that is tempermental requiring perfect lighting conditions.

Only glitch with this product seems to be availability.

It WAS on e-bay and the UK outfit Shooting Shed are the only two mentioned.

Shooting shed:

Shooting SHED

Anyone know if any US distributors are selling it?

Shooting Shed - an 'old school's couple who value their shooting and their customers. Excellent service and he does machine some lovely bespoke shooting kit.

Look forward to your reviews greyfox, I was looking at the mag speed, then i come across this post, now im wondering which way to go..

We tested all 3 at one of the Townsend Shoots, the 3rd being my Oehler 35. All 3 measuring the same bullets from 4 different rifles and calibers. I ordered a magneto speed after the test. The super has some benefits like the ability to be shot over at longer distances. But in the end I liked the Magneto speed better for my needs.

Jeff

Anyone know if any US distributors are selling it?

I located this source for the SuperChrono Acoustic chronograph in Texas (Rifles Only) while researching a month or so ago. They're selling the unit for $350. I'd like to own one of these, but I'm waiting for further user reviews before doing so.

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/superchrono.html

Folks seem to be falling in love with the Magnetospeed, which straps to the end of the barrel. See this Thread:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-magnetospeed-v2-chronographs-108933/

Thanks for your review Jeff.

I finally found a source in the US called Rifles Only. I ordered one. I will be very interested in it if it performs as advertized. I'll put my CED inline with it to see how they compare.

Source for Super Chrono in Tx:

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/superchrono.html

AZ,
You must have posted while I was typing my post... beat me to it.

Please report your experiences with your SuperChrono and the service from Rifles Only? I'd like to use this unit to obtain downrange velocity, however the 'user' reporting on this unit was quite sparse - based on the web-based research I conducted a month ago. Hoping yours performs well compared to your CED.

My research indicated the unit should be set up a minimum of 15 feet from the muzzle. I hope to use one from 300 to 1000 yds off the muzzle.

Sure I'll report on it.

I am very tired of not getting readings. I have done all sorts of tricks and still have the occasional missed readingor entire sessions with no readings. . Some days it is too cloudy. Sometimes the sun angle is wrong. I can't always shoot during perfect conditions and have longed for a solution. Hope this is it.

Ordered the SuperChrono Friday Aug 16 from Rifles Only, received it Monday Aug 19.

Took it out yesterday and today (Aug 20, 21)

Set up CED Millenium at 10 ft. Then placed the SuperChrono at approx. 12 ft. Realized immediately I could not read the digital screen. Decided to place it between the CED and the bench. At 9 ft would have had to use binoculars and a chair to read the screen. Finally placed it 3 ft in front of the muzzle and 7 or so inches below the bullet's flight path. I could read it AND lean forward at the appropriate time to reset for next rifle.

Shot a 284 win, 6mm-284, 308 and 375 Taylor and got readings for every shot. 4 shots didn't register with the CED. All readings were higher with the SuperChrono due to unit being 3 ft from muzzle. Each reading for CED has same shot with SuperChrono underneath. NR= no reading
284 win
CED NR 3279 3289
SC 3310 3297 3316

CED NR 2754 NR
SC 2765 2778 2782

6-284
CED 4145 4110 4129
SC 4209 4166 4166

375 Taylor
CED 2807 2777
SC 2851 2818

Tried the 7mm/375 Ruger

CED 3046 3040
SC 1817 2342 Now it was 95 degrees quit shooting

-------------
Today very dark and cloudy, didn't set up the CED because I knew it wouldn't work :

Took the 284 again along with the 7mm/375 Ruger to be honest too hot at 88 degrees
Really wanted to figure out where to place the SuperChrono to get readings from the 7mm.

Set up chrono at 9 ft where I could stand and with some movement read the digital screen.
The glare from the sun was terrible. Chrono was approx. 7 inches below the bullet's path.

284 3123 2043?? 3159 3149. Remember yesterday's CED reading was approx. 3280 and SC was 3300 fps.

7mm/375 Ruger

Had some 168s to try 2956, 2926 2906 2952 2933 2929
Previous CED readings with this older load were 2985
(load is 76 gr of RL-33)

Switched to the 180s
83 grs 2851
84 2641 2910 2887 previous readings for 84 grains with CED over several sessions has been 3060- 3070 fps

It quickly became too darn hot to continue. Plus range was too busy to fuss over the chrono.

----------------
I called and talked to Rifles Only. They said they had heard others having issues and it was the angle of the unit that had to be adjusted. The guy said Jacob would call me and offer suggestions. Haven't heard from him yet.

I intend to go out again tomorrow and set the chrono out at a greater distance and use my binoculars to see digital screen. Will also try some other setups with chrono lower and higher than 7" from bullet path. If I cannot get results it will be returned and I'll buy the lighting system for the CED.
-----------------------

Positive comments: records every shot with smaller rifles, small and lightweight, controls easy to use.

Negative comments: hard to read, controls on unit not very useful with others shooting at busy range, inconsistent results, no readings with greater muzzle blast.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I researched and read that the SuperChrono should be set up a minimum of 10 feet, and preferably 15 feet, from the muzzle so the sonic crack of the bullet passing over the unit is separated from the muzzle blast report.

My Magneto speed has made every other chrono I've owned or used obsolete, have yet to miss a shot in 500+ rounds, rain, clouds and full sun. Never have to worry about the firing line, my eight year old daughter can install and operate it.

phorwath,

I swear NOWHERE in the literature supplied with the unit did they mention setting it up more than 10 feet and preferably 15 ft. Maybe I need to reread the instructions.

The more I think on this unit the madder I get. Who except the rare individual can expect to walk to the unit every stinking time they want to see the velocities or manipulate the various function buttons? This unit was not made with a typical public shooting range user in mind.

I like the concept but am very frustrated.

I am listening Broz. Might just have to give the magneto speed a try....

Or order a Magneto speed. Just my personal choice after using both and comparing them to my Oehler 35.
Jeff

+1, i love mine, i do have a 1 3/4 MOA POI change on my 284 win, but it does not affect accuracy. Two days ago i went to the range in the 100 degree heat (for velocity data) and shot five rounds with the magnetospeed on. All five rounds went into .485 CTC at 100 yards, which is equal to what it does without the unit. What tickled me pink was my ES and SD, my ES was 13 and SD was 5, but there was one shot that was off and it was the cold fouled bore shot and if i take it out i had an ES of 3 and SD of 1.5. :cool: (Also, i only gained 7 fps in the 100 degree heat vs the 74 degree heat in Townsend with H4350)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.