Review of the new Leupold VX-5HD with ZL-2???

Hiwayman92

This scope looks to be a great long range hunting option, as I'm not a big fan of the turret design on the new LRP. Does anyone have a first hand review of one? I'm wondering how many MOA there are in each revolution. They can be found online pretty reasonably priced so I'd like some of your thoughts. I'm thinking the 3-15x44 with windplex.

The short version is they are badass. We were skeptical at first and I'm sure you'll hear strong opinions in both directions, Ive had quite a few of the 5hd and 6hd mounted for testing as well as sent them to buddies and have yet to have any complaints or problems. They're light, glass is great, the zl2 turret system is a step in the right direction for them and best of all is they track! After all the reported tracking issues with previous models we made it a point to try to break a couple and have so far been unsuccessful. Time will tell but I don't think you can go wrong with them. I'll be running the 5s on my carry rifles this year and the new 6 on long range rigs, as well as a handful of people I hunt with. If problems arise lrh will be the first to know. Good luck on your decision and feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions on them, we have quite a few and I have a good bit of range time behind them. Happy to help.

The new HD glass is stunning.

I thought the same thing about the LRP turrets until I tried them and I wish I could upgrade all of my turrets to these. Hands down the most ergonomic and easiest to see turrets out there. And yes, I have used most that are out there. The only one that is close IMO is NF NXS turrets as far as ergonomics.

I found one from optics agent for 704 shipped... hard to argue with that! I'm throwing it on my 300 WSM model 70. This is sort of my backup rifle, but it shoots so well I put it in a McMillan game scout and had her cerakoted. This may become my go to rifle for areas most shots will be within 650 yards. Sometimes my 7mm WSM with a NF 5.5-22x50 and 27" barrel plus a muzzle break is a little much.

The scope is supposed to show up Monday, but I still don't know how many moa per revolution it will have. Insight?

Scope arrived today. I was surprised at how light weight it is. 20 MOA per revolution for those who were wondering. I'll report when I get a chance to shoot it.

Have you had a chance to shoot yet? I'm in the market for a scope of this weight magnification and price so I'm curious if your papers that come with it have the subtensions for the crosshairs. Their site is pretty bad when it comes to finding subtensions. I've gone over their site and can not find it. I swore off Leupold a few years back but I also did that with swarovski but I tried the x5 and it's awesome so I better give this Leupold a look for my lightweight rifle. Looking forward to hearing your results.

Have you had a chance to shoot yet? I'm in the market for a scope of this weight magnification and price so I'm curious if your papers that come with it have the subtensions for the crosshairs. Their site is pretty bad when it comes to finding subtensions. I've gone over their site and can not find it. I swore off Leupold a few years back but I also did that with swarovski but I tried the x5 and it's awesome so I better give this Leupold a look for my lightweight rifle. Looking forward to hearing your results.

Care to explain your "swearing off" statement?

I guess I was referring to swaro moreso than leupold. Since I'm not a rich guy by any means these purchases are not hastily made and when I get something that's supposed to be quality and it's not I am very disappointed. Over a 2-3 year period I bought 3 swarm rifle scopes brand new and had to send 2 of 3 back to the factory after first try of sighting in. Having paid so much I expected better and not to keep paying for shipping to have them looked at. One had parallax issues and the other had internal problems that wouldn't track or hold a group.
As for Leupold I just haven't been impressed with their offering for my personal long range specs so I haven't given them a chance since before I was in the long range game.
I'm hoping all these new offerings from them hit the mark. Can't wait to try one out now.

I started using variable scopes in the early nineties after having used mostly fixed power my whole life. The first variable I owned I put on my 7RM and it lasted less than a week. The recoil absolutely destroyed the internals. After that experience I swore off variables and did not purchase another one until almost 20 years later. The next variables I purchased were Leupold and Swarovski in the same year and the Leupold I still have and use today on a 22 Silhouette rifle. The Swarovski was a real good scope but its footprint left me wanting something else. Since that day when I moved back to variables I have owned many different brands and have only had to send a few back, 1 Vortex HSLR that had tracking problems due to worn plastic internals ( you get what you pay for ) and an almost $5K S&B that just had poor optical quality and mechanics - my other 2 S&B's were as good as any scope I have ever owned.

I am not going to try and say that Leupold scopes are the best because that is subjective at best even though I think their MK6 and MK8 scopes are as good as any. But what I am going to say is IMO their VX3i, VX5 and VX6 scopes are as good as it gets when it comes to weight, size and performance for a hunting rifle. I see too many hunting rifles ruined by using too much scope. A 2-3 pound scope on a 7-8 pound hunting rifle is too much scope IMO. And Leupold is not the only ones that have scopes that fit into this niche, it just takes some research. For example I see very little talk about the Vortex Razor LH which is a great performing scope but gets very little pub for some reason. Most seem to be stuck on the bigger is better when in fact I don't think they would be building these lighter, smaller scopes if there was not a demand for them.

Love the my new vx 5 hd 3x15x56 firedot .seems to be the perfect scope for my T/c venture 300 win mag

Attachments

• IMG_3833.JPG
    IMG_3833.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 840
  • IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    511.2 KB · Views: 542
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.