Rem 700 ML , looking for loads

Cuatro

My 13 year old drew a elk tag in New Mexico, so we are headed back after no tags for 2 or so years. In past she shot a pronghorn at 192 yards with this ML. We were using 83.5 weighed grains of blackhorn 209. I want to go to imr4350 if able and try that to cut down on cleaning.

Any ideas on where to start?
Got a few charges from old ml owner of 43 grains weighed imr 4579 maybe. But never used them. So i know smokeless has been used in the gun. Just want some direction where to start new load at. Thanks

My 13 year old drew a elk tag in New Mexico, so we are headed back after no tags for 2 or so years. In past she shot a pronghorn at 192 yards with this ML. We were using 83.5 weighed grains of blackhorn 209. I want to go to imr4350 if able and try that to cut down on cleaning.

Any ideas on where to start?
Got a few charges from old ml owner of 43 grains weighed imr 4579 maybe. But never used them. So i know smokeless has been used in the gun. Just want some direction where to start new load at. Thanks

I do not believe that any Remington muzzleloader is designed for shooting smokeless propellants. Nor does Remington recommend it. Neither the 700ML and certainly not the 700UML.
I would NOT be putting smokeless propellant in your 700ML or 700UML. That's just dangerous, no matter what a previous owner shot through it, or told you.

NEVER EVER use smokeless powder in a muzzle loader that was not specifically designed for smokeless powder. Even if the rifle was build using a smokeless barrel the use of smokeless powder is Illegal in NM during the Muzzle Loader Season.

From NMG&F regs----Muzzleloader: Includes rifles and shotguns in which the charge and projectile are loaded
through the muzzle. Only black powder, Pyrodex or an equivalent substitute may be used. Smokeless
powder is illegal.

Dave

That helps, i thought it could be. I failed to state the gun is a custom barrel on a 709 action not a factory built remington gun. I will stick to 209 powder since i have lots of it. Any wisdom on the best bullet and sabot to use? So far been shooting the hornady sst 300 grain i think. Works well but like to hear if yall have had better luck with simething else.

Thanks for the replies

That helps, i thought it could be. I failed to state the gun is a custom barrel on a 709 action not a factory built remington gun. I will stick to 209 powder since i have lots of it. Any wisdom on the best bullet and sabot to use? So far been shooting the hornady sst 300 grain i think. Works well but like to hear if yall have had better luck with simething else.

Thanks for the replies
I have killed deer out to 300 yards with powerbelt's in my 700 ML using two 50 gr pellets.I have practiced at that range many times so I know what the gun will do.In my Encore and Omega they both like the 250 gr t/c bullets

Who built the muzzleloader and what breach plug does it use? Some muzzleloaders are designed to use smokeless powder but most are not. The place with the most information on smokeless muzzleloaders is Doug's message board. There is a ton of information that will be helpful for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.