Recurve tip blocks.....

Dan B

Got my hands on a recurve that needs the string nocks finished. So I need to find some suitable material for bonding to the limb tips then refile the string nocks.

Anyone have an idea of what I could use? Or do you have anything laying around that may work? Also...what kind of adhesive to glue them to the limb?

What kind of wood is the bow made out of? What color/shade? Maybe a contrasting color of wood would be nice, if you like that look.

If it's a lighter color and you want a darker tip, how about ebony, purpleheart, walnut etc.?? How about Lignum Vitae. This stuff is super heavy and will sink in water. It weighs 80# per cubic foot but the little tip pieces wouldn't be too heavy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Zebrawood is kinda neat but in a piece that small the stripes may not show up all that much, but that would depend on how you oriented it.

You can go "Here"and see some of the different woods, colors and grain patterns.

Glue might be a quality epoxy or Gorillaglue. Either should hold up well if properly applied and sealed.

Let me know if it's wood that you want to use, and if I have what you want I can probably hook you up with enough for some bow tips. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If it's synthetic material then I'm afraid you're on your own.

The wood is very light and backed with fiberglass. Any color would be fine...I'm not picky in the least.

Gorilla Glue...YES!! I have that stuff and it's awesome.

Whatever you could hook me up with "wood" be great. Thanks!

ss7mm,

Any of those woods, other than the standard walnut, adequate for a rifle stock?

Just had one of my weird thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If you read through the descriptions you'll see several that are "dense", "tight grained" etc. Those would probably work and especially if done in a lamination. A lot of the woods in this listing would be very heavy in sizes needed for a full size rifle stock.

You could make a sporter weight stock out of Lignum Vitae and it probably would weigh as much, if not more, than most big benchrest stocks weigh. I wouldn't want to machine it though.

You'll probably recognize several as being used for custom handgun stocks also, but they aren't typically use in full sized rifle stocks.

I'd think that you could get by using any fairly dense, tight grained wood especially if you fully bed and pillar it properly.

Another thing is getting a piece big enough, to do a stock in one piece, and being able to afford it with some of the woods listed. Large, thick, figured wood in certain exotic species, if you could even find it, in a blank size big enough to make a full size stock would get you into the range of a McMillan money wise. And then you'd invest another small fortune getting it machined etc. and not ruining it.

Dick,

Jeez, I hate reality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

There just aren't any free lunches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.