R26 and 264 win mag

fisherman983

Anyone here tried this combo. Trying to find a load with the 143 eld-x and R26. Maybe even play with the Berger. What's everyone's experience with where they like to start the 143 off the lands?
I'm gonna give. 045 off a try and see what I can get for accuracy.

I usually treat the ELD-Xs like Berger VLDs and seat them 0.005" off. It is unusual that they don't work there but if they don't then you will have to run a test as I've seen them work all over the place depending on chambering. See the attached target as an example of them working - 0.006" off in this case.

Attachments

• 260 Rem RL-26 001.jpg
    260 Rem RL-26 001.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 301
Every rifle is different. I tried RL 26 in my 264 WM matching it with the 142 NABLR. Velocity through my 26" barrel was only in the mid-2800's to 2900 and accuracy wasn't too good.
Tried several of the 'tried and true' powders (7828, H1000, 4831 both H and I and a couple of others) and finally settled on RL33.

went back to the drawing board. started at .10 off the lands. 143 eld-x, 66.5 gr r26 gave me 2 groups, both under 1/2 moa @ 3230. seems like a mild load. I think it should work well.

I also treat them like the Berger VLD bullets. I have not tried R-26 yet. I start my hunting rigs at 0.005" below my maximum magazine length and worked shorter until I found the seating depth (CBTO) my rifle shot best then I played with the powder charges and primer. My hunting rigs have to be able to reliably magazine feed or they don't get a forever home in my safe.
I have to do the normal Hornady sorting to get any accuracy that is acceptable for ethical hunting beyond 600 with my rifle, YMMV. I found my rifles top velocity with best accuracy node at 3,140ish to 3,175. I settled at 3,168 with my SD running 8fps as measured by 10 cold bore shots over my magnetospeed. Everything above that and accuracy rapidly deteriorated in either SD or grouping or both from my rifle I tested with. Every rifle is a bit different though. My 264 WIN rifles are my favorite hunting rigs and the 143ELDX certainly is enough bullet for most things when properly prepared. Have fun and be safe.

983, loaded 140 Berger and H1000. Shot test loads yesterday in mountains at 6500', 77 degrees. All shots touching for one of the loads. Retumbo didn't shoot as accurately. H4831SC was a miserable 1.2".

so with my never ending need to shoot and become better, I decided to possibly improve my load.
the last time I shot my rifle, it put 3 rnds, just over .4 moa. I fired a 4th round at a bowling pin, laying on its side at 550 yds. spotter confirmed it was a direct hit.
I thought to myself, what if I tried 66.3 and 66.7, just to see what will happen.
went to the range today and fired the first load and 66.3 showed a significant decrease in accuracy. let the rifle cool and tried 66.7 which did the same. significant decrease. both groups were well over 1 moa.
I let the rifle cool and decided I better try the original for a 3rd time at 66.5 just to triple check. it was about a 1.5 moa group.
I used the same box of bullets, same box of primers and same jug of powder.
anyone have any insight on how my load could triple in size?
thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

I finally got a chance to chrony and shoot some lr today with my .264. 64.5 grains rl26 gives me 3075 fps with very low es. Scored a dead center hit from a cold bore at 720 yards. Elevation matched what strelok was spitting out, I could probably wring a little more speed out of it, but not wanting to mess with it since it's shooting so well. Can't wait to hunt with it this year!

This happened to me recently. My
Barrel finally broke in and made me start from group zero.

I used the same box of bullets, same box of primers and same jug of powder.
anyone have any insight on how my load could triple in size?
thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
With all sincerity, try Reloder 25.

Rl26 was erratic and temperamental , Retumbo was fine until freezing temps arrived (nightmare!!).
Ive been through two 264 WM barrels, I've found RL25 and 140 vld to shoot the best in both.

What barrel did you end up going with for your 264 WM? I got my 264 back with the Badger Thruster muzzle brake, but haven't had it out. Not that it "needed" a brake, just wanted it. Lately I've Been too busy with the 338 LM, the 308 Win, etc. Plus, it's heating up in my neck of the woods, almost time to start reloading for summer, switch to pistols and indoor ranges, LOL!
I think you have the data I got with my 264 and 143ELDX/RL26.

Let me know if you want me to put it here for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.