Questions on Garmin Montana

6x47lapua

I am buying a Garmin Montana but have some questions. On the Xmaps (or any reccomedned map) do they show the actual land unit number? From the screen shots I've seen, it shows BLM and private land but I want to know exactly what unit . Is this possible?

Also, I've had several GPS units in boats that show your trail on the screen as you travel. To get back, you simply follow the line on the screen, following your exact trail back to the starting point. I realize I could set a way point for the starting point BUT then it would simply show the most direct path back there. The problem with that is if you want to follow a specific trail that has twists and turns, you won't be able to. This is important because you might be navigating around rocks, twisitng and turning out through a bay. To get back, you have to follow that same path. I thought this might be important for hunting too, seeing some of the trails and ATV paths that have many turns and twists. It would be handy to be able to simply follow your path backwards, rather than just setting a way point which would then show you a straight line back. Is this an option for these garmin units?

Thanks

I have a Montana 650.

1) Not sure on your onXmap chip, as I have the WI chip and GMU's are by county. The real geeks hang out over at:
GPSfiledepot.com and someone should be able to help you with the GMU overlay.
2) You will need to leave the unit turned on in order to lay down the so called bread
crumb trail for you to follow back at the end of the day. It will not lay the trail
when it is shut off.

Hope this helps,
Gregory

Yes, the chips show game management units for the state along with land ownership and a ton of other stuff. To follow your exact path back to your starting point you have to turn on what is called "tracks" and leave the unit on the entire time until you want to go back that same path instead of just having the beginning as a waypoint and turning the GPS off. Doing the latter, as you stated, and then turning it back on and doing a "go to" strictly gives you a straight line back to the starting point. That is fine if you have nothing that prevents a straight line return, but using the tracks feature does what you want. Some, as was referenced by our other member, call it a crumb trail.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.