Questions answered?

wlfdg, what is the best way to train for altitude (8,000-10,000 feet) when I live a lot closer to sea level (about 700 feet)?

I'm in reasonably good shape. I run regularly and do some strength training, but not as much as I'd like. Family and work always has priority of course. I eat reasonably well and maintain my weight.

Thanks!

You can't train for altitude without actually being at altitude. Gadgets like altitude masks don't actually work the way they're advertised.
What you can do is maximize the training variables you have within your control.
If you go back and read post #7 you'll have a general understanding of training variables you need to manipulate.

How old are you?
How much time during the week do you have to train?

Wldfg, thanks for offering your help as this issue critical but most guys live on youthful memories. My question: I have been steady in fitness for 32 years and love the freedom a few short hours a week produce. My issue is decreased miniscus and increasing knee pain. It cuts into my fitness and last year really hurt my hunt. It comes and goes. I managed to keep up with dogs all day in HI pig hunt last winter unexpectedly but not without big recovery. When do knees finally get replaced? I am 67 and always been active except when I sit at a desk all day. :)

You can't train for altitude without actually being at altitude.

That's what I had heard, but I was hoping you might have a different answer.

How old are you?
How much time during the week do you have to train?

I am turning 34 this month. I typically run for 30 minutes a day 2-3 times a week. I do normal work around the house.. mowing the lawn, occasional building projects, periodic reorganizing the garage, etc. I also do about 10-15 minutes of things like push ups and situps 2-3 times a week.

If I was training for a specific event (like a hunting trip in CO), I would do more. Probably 2-3 months out I'd add walking with a weighted backpack and leg exercises like squats and lunges.

Wlfdg, I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions. You might consider coming up with a sticky that outlines a basic plan for someone who is completely out of shape and another plan for someone who is in decent shape.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.