Question about the Orlando shooting?

engineer40

Hello all.

I have purposefully avoided the news for about 8 years now. Not only do I not watch it, I divert my eyes from headlines on newspapers and on websites. Some would say that I'm crazy, and I would agree with them to an extent. However, I find myself having a much easier time just not being ****ed off on a daily basis. I am a better and happier person since I've stopped paying attention to the news.

All of that said, I have heard about the Orlando shooting from my wife. The only details I know:
-He used an AR15.
-It was in a gay bar.
-He killed over 50 people.

This is very much NOT a political question. Please no one turn it into a political rant.

While at the gym today I did catch a headline on some news channel that the government "Will be cracking down on firearm laws!"

Just because I don't watch the news, doesn't mean I don't care what happens or that I don't vote. I do very much care what happens and I absolutely vote.

What does this really mean for our firearm rights?

Have they given details about what our government is trying to do?

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's input on this.

See what happens when you watch the news? Just don't do it again and go back to stashing as much brass, powder, primers, bullets, and guns as you possible can, just as you always have and all will be alright. Kinda makes me wonder why I ever watch the news or keep up with current events. Thanks for the tip! :)

Hello all.

I have purposefully avoided the news for about 8 years now. Not only do I not watch it, I divert my eyes from headlines on newspapers and on websites. Some would say that I'm crazy, and I would agree with them to an extent. However, I find myself having a much easier time just not being ****ed off on a daily basis. I am a better and happier person since I've stopped paying attention to the news.

All of that said, I have heard about the Orlando shooting from my wife. The only details I know:
-He used an AR15.
-It was in a gay bar.
-He killed over 50 people.

This is very much NOT a political question. Please no one turn it into a political rant.

While at the gym today I did catch a headline on some news channel that the government "Will be cracking down on firearm laws!"

Just because I don't watch the news, doesn't mean I don't care what happens or that I don't vote. I do very much care what happens and I absolutely vote.

What does this really mean for our firearm rights?

Have they given details about what our government is trying to do?

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's input on this.
Purely political. Every American needs to be informed, hopeully, from many different sources. Those who choose to NOT stay informed are shrugging their duty as Citizens and have become "sheep" willingly lead to slaughter because they didn't stay informed....... How can you vote without being "informed"?

Purely political. Every American needs to be informed, hopeully, from many different sources. Those who choose to NOT stay informed are shrugging their duty as Citizens and have become "sheep" willingly lead to slaughter because they didn't stay informed....... How can you vote without being "informed"?

I have a select few people in my life that I know share the same opinions as I do. I do get updated by those individuals.

I just choose not to be inundated with the barrage of BS on a daily basis. However, I am very thankful for the people in my life that do stayed updated and provide me with the Cliffs Notes versions.

That's just my way that I choose to stay informed. Thanks again for your response and the private message.

Also to add clarification for everyone who is thinking about responding. I do understand this is a very political topic. I'm sure the majority of us on this forum share very similar views on politics.

The only reason I asked to not turn this specific question into a political conversation is because I think that is against the forum policies. Thanks!

only details I have herd is they are voting on 4 gun control bills this week.
one is assault weapon ban and one is no fly on buy.

as far as details you wont know until they pass. were have we herd that before.

good thing nobody thinks any will pass. bad thing look for more executive action

I am very much like you in the fact I try not to get bogged down or upset by the gross exaggeration and propaganda our news feels they need to stream to boost ratings and maintain their relavancy in our modern world.
With that said, I also believe it's my responsibility to have an idea of what's going on in the world. So I choose not to watch local BS and typically utilize sources from outside our country to stay updated. The Debka files is typically a non-sugar-coated source out of Israel and Al Jezear out of the Middle East. While they're each skewed, by reading both you get a very solid idea of what's going on and its perceived.

On to your question.
It's an election year and obviously with that comes a lot of chest beating and mud slinging. The outcome of the Orlando shooting is yet to be seen, but has caused a more serious push by government for increased "gun control" and talk of re-enacting the assault weapons ban of 1994 with some updates to make it even more controlling. Time will tell...

As near as I can tell he killed 49 people, and was killed by SWAT, making a total of 50 dead.

He did not use an AR-15-it was a Sig something or other.

It was a Gay bar.

Shooter claims to be an Islamic Terrorist, Fearless Leader says oh no he's not.

According to Judge: FBI Transcript Shows Nobody Died in Orlando Shooting Until SWAT Teams entered the Building - Freedom Outpost

The bottom-line, the anti-gun will NEVER be satisfied until they get guns out off law law abiding gun owners/citizens. :(

13533057_10157070610995494_6367432215839343755_n_zpsqd8vullv.jpg

13174119_633632243459545_7093413310779539023_n_zpsx1p7gmen.jpg

Last edited:
"… President Obama's politically correct reluctance to attribute the terrorist threat we face with radical Islam hobbles our ability to combat it by discouraging counterterrorism agents from taking radical Islam into account when evaluating potential threats. The examples of Fort Hood, Boston, San Bernardino, and Orlando demonstrate the harmful consequences of this administration's willful blindness.

For example, …"

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/06/cruz-bowing-at-the-altar-of-political-correctness-wont-defeat-terrorism-heres-what-will

&&

"… The Obama administration is covering up all connections of the Orlando shooter to known Islamic terrorists with the help of the Muslim Brotherhood advising DHS and the FBI. Yet, all Republicans and Democrats want to discuss is guns. …"
https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/06/ted-cruz-to-hold-hearing-on-coverup-of-islamic-terror-by-obama-administration

Check 'em out...

"… President Obama's politically correct reluctance to attribute the terrorist threat we face with radical Islam hobbles our ability to combat it by discouraging counterterrorism agents from taking radical Islam into account when evaluating potential threats. The examples of Fort Hood, Boston, San Bernardino, and Orlando demonstrate the harmful consequences of this administration's willful blindness.

For example, …"

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/06/cruz-bowing-at-the-altar-of-political-correctness-wont-defeat-terrorism-heres-what-will

&&

"… The Obama administration is covering up all connections of the Orlando shooter to known Islamic terrorists with the help of the Muslim Brotherhood advising DHS and the FBI. Yet, all Republicans and Democrats want to discuss is guns. …"
https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/06/ted-cruz-to-hold-hearing-on-coverup-of-islamic-terror-by-obama-administration

Check 'em out...

Those were real eye openers with my morning coffee. Thanks for posting.

Well just in case our government leaders try to do something silly with our firearm rights, I just stocked up on high capacity (IMO, normal capacity) magazines for my AR's and my 10/22.

I also ordered a few AR 15 lowers from Palmetto State Armory. At $80 a piece, that's cheap piece of mind for me. I don't even have any immediate plans for any of the lowers. Got them for more like insurance against anti-firearm politicians.

Two statistics I found out while researching this;

-Semi auto rifles account for less than 1% of murders per year. (All the while the AR 15 is by far the most popular rifle sold in America).

-Conceal carry license holders are 8 times less likely to shoot someone than the general population is.

(Stats not verified, only read on the Internet).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts