Q about bullet performance out of 7RM

Dannyd

I have only been rolling my own now for about 8 months

For my 7MM Rem Mag I have worked up some nice hunting loads with 3 different bullets. Nothing blistering but this was where i found the accuracy.

150g Noslet BT @ 3020FPS
150g Sierra GameKing @ 2974 FPS
175g Sierra Gameking @ 2782 FPS

Quite frankly, where i hunt, i will probably not have a shot past 100 yards on a whitetail

My question is about bullet performance at these ranges. I have yet to shoot these at a deer. Given the above should I be concerned at all with the performance of any of these bullets?

Thanks guys,
The reason i ask is i keep hearing stories about this bullet or that blowing up at certain speeds, passing through without expanding etc.

I was just wondering if these are OK bullet choices for my application

It has been my experience with the 7mm Mag that for inside 100 yard shots it is best to slow the bullet down. The 140 to 150 gr bullets seem to kill deer in their tracks better if they start out in the 2800 to 2900 fps muzzle velocity range. For some reason when, for me, the bullets are going over 3000 fps the deer want to run off around 100 yards even though you have pulped their lungs and heart. My buddy has had the same results. This observation has been gathered from over 50 deer kills. I got rid of my 7 mag and went back to the 25-06. You don't have to trail them up with it. Bang Flop.

For deer at that range, It's pretty hard to go wrong! I would shoot whatever shoots best in your rifle but would lean towards the 150's.....Rich

Dannyd,
I would choose the 150 Ballistic Tip. It has never let me down, regardless of the range. The bear in the first two photo's was taken at 15 steps. The bullet chrono'd at 3240fps and it went completely through both shoulders of this fat fellow. He weighed 300lbs.
i just threw the coyote photo in for S & G's. He was taken at 40 yds and was no match for the 150gn BT. I have used this bullet almost exclusively in the 7Mag for 15 years.

utf-8BMDgyODA5MTkwMmEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BMDgyODA5MTkwMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BMTExNDA5MDgyNi5qcGc.jpg

JohnnyK.

You can hardly go wrong with any bullet out of 7RM inside 100 yds but some might do more damage than you want if your concerned about meat or hide. For years I shot a 160 Partition out of the 7RM and it always did the very well.

If you get the opportunity to shoot farther, I would look for something a little more BC friendly.

Good shooting,

Mark

I would go with the ballistic tip. I have shot many deer with these in 7RM and other calibers from15yds to 400yds and they performed great.

Thanks for the replies.

The 3 loads listed all print anywhere from .71 to .83 MOA (Depending on which bullet) avg over 10 three shot groups. Not that great but good enough for a hunting load at my distances. Since almost all of you have suggested the Nosler BT that is what i will start with.

I would like to get more speed to see how far i can push it but most of those loads are already flirting with or at book maximums. I'm still new to this and really dont have confidence in reading pressure signs so i'm very reluctant to go any higher yet

I would also recommend the 150 gr BT. It will put deer down fast.
If you want to try a different weight bullet, consider the 140 gr BT or AB. IF they run, it won't be more than a few jumps!

JD338

I killed an elk last September @ 92 yard with a 168 nosler bt out of an 06 they seem to work well. bullet held together mushroomed nice,
But as said before @ that distance out of a 7mm I dont think you can go wrong with any one of the bullets mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.