public land near childress an option?

spdcrazy

I know hog hunting in west texas is much more avail with use of private land/ranches/etc. but is it the same story with Barbary sheep? or is there a good chance to run a dirt road out on public land, and walk/scout canyons?

Not looking to spend thousands of dollars for a guided hunt, just looking to get in the woods and knock one down!

I might have access to some private land in childress, just wondering if it falls through, what my other options might be

Public land forget it. Childress can be an out standing place to hunt varmints, deer, quail, and hogs. I have a good friend that has 600 acres that borders the canyons on one side and the Red River on the other. He plants food plots and it is a game magnet. He has never mentioned anything about sheep. Not hilly enough I guess. It is all about location,location, location. Please do not come this far and rely on the little bit of public land that you may or may not be able to hunt along the Red River. It is fairly flat with red mud and little cover. Plus you would really have to know the boundaries. The farmers and ranchers around there really frown on trespassers.

Public land forget it. Childress can be an out standing place to hunt varmints, deer, quail, and hogs. I have a good friend that has 600 acres that borders the canyons on one side and the Red River on the other. He plants food plots and it is a game magnet. He has never mentioned anything about sheep. Not hilly enough I guess. It is all about location,location, location. Please do not come this far and rely on the little bit of public land that you may or may not be able to hunt along the Red River. It is fairly flat with red mud and little cover. Plus you would really have to know the boundaries. The farmers and ranchers around there really frown on trespassers.

Thanks for the knowledge, and no, there is zero chance I'd just take the leisurely 8hr drive there to rely on public land. At least not unless someone chimed in with a different idea than you gave, but your thoughts follow along with my own and most everyone else I keep talking too.

Thanks again, and sorry for the delayed reply

I farm/ranch west of childress in a much "better" area for aoudad and i also plant wheat that draws animals from miles around. I have never seen an aoudad in the area but i keep hoping! The caprock canyon park at quitaque and another park west of vernon have aoudad and i am sure they venture out ocassionally.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.