Progression of ELR Community

I can see how tubular projectiles failed from a military standpoint.

From an ELR standpoint, while slippery, tubular projectiles seem "difficult" from a variety of points. Still very interesting. What is old is new again.

Do you have any access to the data or report and conclusions?

Hello,

The only data that is "declassified" is the original powerpoint by Abe Flatau (developer of the Ring Airfoil rifle grenade & Ring Airfoil Projectile (RAP) nonlethal rubber projectile.

www.dtic.mil/ndia/2004solic/flat.ppt

THEIS

I believe we can't do much better with gun powder. It only explodes at a given rate. I believe that rail guns will be our future. Probably not in my lifetime thou.

If I remember correctly gun powder burns at aprox 6,000ft per second and electricity is the speed of light. Electric will be our answer just short of light beams

Hello,

Well lets throw yet another "topic" into this progression of ELR thread... :)

Muzzle brake vs Suppressor for ELR weapon systems?
Which will see "advancement" come out of pushing the projectile MV faster, newer burn rate propellants, etc?

THEIS

Hello,

Well lets throw yet another "topic" into this progression of ELR thread... :)

Muzzle brake vs Suppressor for ELR weapon systems?
Which will see "advancement" come out of pushing the projectile MV faster, newer burn rate propellants, etc?

THEIS

Ouch.
Well if we are not talking about crew served and even some of them, some for of recoil compensation is required.

Brakes are the easy part of the equation. They can take the muzzle pressure. More pressure is better. They can be tuned for the projectile+pressures.

A suppressor is not a technology I I know much about. From a scratch my head and think about it point of view, I'm pretty sure the muzzle pressures are going to be very high.

Blast directional control may be something to consider.

Hello,

The "miniaturization" of Defense Equipment :)

This unit is not cheap but for those that do lots of ELR shooting at UKDs that want to keep the view through your scope as far from "edges" of scope adjustment as possible and not want to deal with external adjustment type rings/base, etc; this is looking to be an option.
As I said NOT CHEAP but you could have 1 set for x number mils, one for y number of mils, one for z number of mils, etc..basically use them for your "coarse" elevation adjustment then use your scope as the "fine" elevation adjustment.

Charlie TARAC

THEIS

Hello,

I posted this product during a "mass" posting of different products in the beginning days of this thread that are going to and/or have the potential to "progress" the ELR community.
I figured now that the thread has slowed down that we can take a closer and more detailed look at it.

The PROMS2 --- Portable Rapid Deployment Observation and Monitoring System.
Night/Day/Thermal Vision Cameras and Systems : PROMS 2 Portable Rapid deployment Observation and Monitoring System

In keeping specific to the progression of the ELR community....this product has A LOT of potential uses!!
1. Target Camera due to its 720x magnification.
2. Spotting Scope/Observation system that allows spotter/observer to not be "glued" to the spotting scope eyepiece due to its' monitoring screen system. This will allow spotter/observer to keep a better "eye" on the environmental condition changes.
3. Electronic image stabilization that will help see impacts on target.
These are just to name a few :)

The Australian SASR are using this product and have no issues with it.

13.jpg

14.jpg

THEIS

Hello,

Well to stray from my more Governmental usage type post I would like to see what you all think the progression of animal detection is going in the new future..specifically to the ELR Hunting Community.

For example...where do you all see products that use microwave sensor modules and software algorithms to detect a human heart in places such as culverts, buildings, rooms, walls, containers, basins, caverns, vehicles, edifices and structures of all materials and varied densities being utilized in the ELR Hunting Community?

I mean the software algorithms can be written into the unit that tells the microwave sensor to only detect such and such heartbeat pattern; so that only an elk heartbeat is picked up. So instead of staying on spotting scope overlooking your shooting area you just place the 6 pound (current weight) detection unit and wait for it to detect an elk heartbeat..then you get on the glass for visual confirmation and possibly shot. Detection units can also be mounted to UAV/Drones so that you know an elk is on other side of that ridge before you chose to climb it.

TOO far out (pun intended) in regards to "fair chase" and "gear oriented" instead of "hunting"???

THEIS

I'm sure there are those that would use detection devices. Infrared is already replacing/augmenting night vision.

Parts of if I don't like personally. I'm not a hard core hunter and in a moment would take the same kind of cow elk hunt I did before from a truck. I would "hunt" my yard same as I have for a couple years. No success on that one because they deer go nocturnal in the 100+ temperatures of California during our hunting season.

Basically, I'm saying I'd rather fail to take game than use such a device.

Now if this was a military application. Gimme gimme. There is no "fair" in self defense or war.

Hello,

The progression wheels are continually turning for our ELR Community and that is a great thing. That can be seen as a good and bad thing, depending on your personal take of where you want product progression to go or not go.

I asked in an earlier comment about what peoples opinions were on augmented reality and where/if you see it coming into the ELR progression.
I will provide more details on the backstory of that question :)

While at a recent International Defense expo I had a meeting with R&D engineers from BAE systems and Microsoft Hololens in regards to their "future soldier" and "future battlefield" programs. After that meeting I began to flip through my documents in regards to support equipment currently used by ELR and HTI Teams AND support equipment still in RDT&E phases for ELR and HTI Teams but looking at them in the aspect of utilization of the Hololens augmented reality system.
With ballistic program(s) being the most utilized support equipment I began to work on "pairing" the programs to the hololens..that is still in the works lolol...but what did "pair" easier was the Venom LX wind lidar system and the hololens!! Being able to visually see wind flowing via holographic images based on the lidar readings is crazy!!! Still have coding improvements to be done but windy days are fun to look at right now lolol.

Here is link to the venom lx and hololens if you are not familiar with them.

VENOM LX | Torrey Pines Logic, Inc.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens

Thanks,
THEIS

Hello,

Well with the latest craze in optics being internal HUDs...how much longer will it be before you think we will have programmable digital displays in which we can virtually "make" any reticle we want for whatever shooting session we are doing at the time??

Not all "progression" needs to come in the form of weapon systems and ballistics :)..being able to have different digital display reticles at different times would be a great "progression" :)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-scope-fully-integrated-ballistic-solver-hud/

Chris Thomas (Premier reticles family) is back in the scope game with their new Revic Optics Company
HUD
Built in ballistics computer
Environment sensors
etc etc....just not programmable digital display for reticle designs

THEIS

Hello,

As further continuation in the realm of ELR progression...

Another barrel "cladding" system is now available. Structured Barrel

The premise and theory seem pretty sound on this one but I have not put my hands on one yet. Anyone here put the hands and/or eyes on this barrel system yet???

Being able to greatly reduce barrel whip on the big bore ELR cartridges should allow us to be able to utilize lighter weapon systems in ratio to cartridge recoil and yet maintain accuracy.

I am going to request John from TACOMHQ conduct some testing with high speed camera systems to show real time proof of barrel whip reduction so we can see the results.

THEIS

Question;

Is it currently possible to have copper jacketed aluminum tipped tungsten powder filled bullets produced by a custom bullet maker? I would like to try them in a 7-300 Norma for ELR. Reading the story about the 30 FBI has spurred my interest. A while back someone mentioned that it was -not- possible due to the current laws. Obviously they were produced in the past.....just want to get some final words and any experience with them...

Thanks in advance.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/anyone-ever-hear-30-fbi-3760/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.