Primers?

Jnms73

I use the CCI large rifle primers loading for loading my 308 and i'm about to run out. I have a case of CCI large rifle magnum primers that i use for a 7mm mag. Can i use them in my 308 brass? What issues will it cause?

I use the CCI large rifle primers loading for loading my 308 and i'm about to run out. I have a case of CCI large rifle magnum primers that i use for a 7mm mag. Can i use them in my 308 brass? What issues will it cause?

It will totally change your load and likely over pressure the 308.

There are plenty of large rifle primers available, so I would not recommend it.

J E CUSTOM

J E is spot on. You will see more pressure. How much, I can't really say. Can you do it? Absolutely but as J E said, there's probably better ways of getting it done.

I know a couple old school reloaders that only use the CCI mag primer in their 22-250s... why? I have no idea but, it work and they shoot very well. Of course, load work was done accordingly.

If you're dead set on it, you will need to drop your charge weights down and start all over again. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you.

t

If you are not over max then I would say just load a few and shoot them and see what the target shows. I'm currently Running CCI 450s in 6 creed (2nd barrel) with excellent results and I, like many, are pushing them pretty hard. It's nice also, if you rework your load to only need to buy 1 type of primer in the future

Drop your powder charge a couple grains and work back up. The little bit I've messed with mag primers and reg rifle primers in a 22-250ai I've gained roughly 100fps with the mag primer in the same loads I was working up with in standard rifle primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.