Primer missing!

Not sure if this is the correct area to post but it's a new experience for me.

While out today I took a few shots. On my second shot I tried to reload and notice my bolt stuck. After jerking back with some force it finally freed and I noticed my case was missing its primer. I was shooting factor Hornady Match 6.5 CM, my fifth box and only issue ever. It's a new rifle, Christensen Ridgeline. My real concern is should I have my rifle inspected before shooting anymore? Could it have just been a lemon round?
In extremely cold conditions un crimped primers can easily blow even without an overload. The metals they are made of are different from the brass at the bottom of the shell and therefore have different shrink rates in extreme temperatures. It takes very little movement to loosen the primer enough to then blow out when fired.

Occasionally you can get a bad primer that is undersized to start with, has an excessive charge of it's own or fails in other ways.

I boght quite a bit of DT 7mm STW ammo for years and really liked dealing with them until I had two boxes that had overloads, underloads, primers that wouldn't fire at all and primers that blew a hole right back through the dent made by the firing pin.

One call made to them, they said they were aware of the same problem with another lot and it was due to a bad, bad batch of primers they'd gotten from CCI. CCI made them whole on the deal and they told me to send in the remaining ammo and they would replace it round for round. They did that and through in 2 extra boxes and a nice Cap and Tee Shirt ta boot.

The few complaints I've ever had with Hornady were address politely by me and with some considerable discussion trying to figure out what had happened and when they felt it was due to a problem on their end, they too were not shy about replacing the defective ammo or components.

I will be surprised if they don't try to treat you well and quite frankly very disappointed as they have always been a "Family Company" and their "Family Values" that came along with it were what they relied upon as a business ethic. IF that's changed it'll be a sad day.

Again, best of luck and let us know how it works out in the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.