Primer missing!

CBrowning

Not sure if this is the correct area to post but it's a new experience for me.

While out today I took a few shots. On my second shot I tried to reload and notice my bolt stuck. After jerking back with some force it finally freed and I noticed my case was missing its primer. I was shooting factor Hornady Match 6.5 CM, my fifth box and only issue ever. It's a new rifle, Christensen Ridgeline. My real concern is should I have my rifle inspected before shooting anymore? Could it have just been a lemon round?

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 28
Not sure if this is the correct area to post but it's a new experience for me.

While out today I took a few shots. On my second shot I tried to reload and notice my bolt stuck. After jerking back with some force it finally freed and I noticed my case was missing its primer. I was shooting factor Hornady Match 6.5 CM, my fifth box and only issue ever. It's a new rifle, Christensen Ridgeline. My real concern is should I have my rifle inspected before shooting anymore? Could it have just been a lemon round?

IIWM, I'd notify Hornady of your experience.

C, how long have you had the ammo? Where was it stored? A friend's son had an expensive box of WBY ammo he'd kept in his garage here in Az for a year. First shot we couldn't open the bolt. The heat had apparently altered the powder making it unstable. Also heard the same happened to another with ammo kept in a truck. Certainly would have the bolt/chamber checked for possible damage.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Snipers Hide had a relatively extensive thread going on about Hornady & ammo problems. Record your lot number and get in touch with Hornady.

You definitely popped a primer (duh) but it isn't the worst I've ever seen. It definitely won't hurt to have your rifle checked out and provided with a clean bill of health. Would I? maybe, circumstances pending of course. You should be able to do a pretty dern good visual i.e. bolt face, lug recesses etc.

At the very least you need to disassemble the bolt and clean out the crap that was bound to have been forced into it thru the firing pin hole.

Let us know what Hornady says.

t

Ive shot ammo that my grandpa had that was 30-40 years old. Some of his shotgun ammo was a lot older than that. And his shack was not air or moister tight. Ive never seen that happen before. Usually primers either work, or they dont. I would notify hornady right away, and I would make a big stink about it. You never know, you might get something free out of it.

C, how long have you had the ammo? Where was it stored? A friend's son had an expensive box of WBY ammo he'd kept in his garage here in Az for a year. First shot we couldn't open the bolt. The heat had apparently altered the powder making it unstable. Also heard the same happened to another with ammo kept in a truck. Certainly would have the bolt/chamber checked for possible damage.

Stored in my weapons closet the whole time up until a few days before I shot it. Heat wasn't an issue since it was below freezing everyday.

I emailed Hornady, not liking there system. They responded with wanting me to call in so I'll see if that provided any actual help from them. And I'll be taking apart my bolt for sure, just order the tools from Sinclair. Thanks all.

What did hornady end up doing? Is this just rifle ammunition related or is it pistol ammunition related as well?

IDK about the op, but a guy at our range had exact problem and hornady gave him several boxes.. I wanna say 25.

What did hornady end up doing? Is this just rifle ammunition related or is it pistol ammunition related as well?

Been real busy, but got around to calling the tech support number they referred me to. They asked for me to mail in the remaining ammo I have and we'll go from there. So I'm hoping they at least replace what I'm sending in.

Local gun shop spent time troubleshooting some Hornady factory ammo. It was 7mm STW ammo if I remember correctly. Ammo was simply overcharged with powder. Whole box of ammo was producing too high pressure.
So it sure appears as if Hornady has a Quality Control problem.
Was about 9 months ago that the 7mm ammo problem occurred.

I was also involved in troubleshooting the faulty Hornady ammo. Left me shaking my head, and happier than ever to be a reloader for the past 4+ decades.

Local gun shop spent time troubleshooting some Hornady factory ammo. It was 7mm STW ammo if I remember correctly. Ammo was simply overcharged with powder. Whole box of ammo was producing too high pressure.
So it sure appears as if Hornady has a Quality Control problem.
Was about 9 months ago that the 7mm ammo problem occurred.
Hornady hasn't produced any STW ammo in years if ever that I know of. I've actually had very good luck with their factory ammo on the whole and I don't ever remember seeing any loaded for the STW.

Shot a boatload of it in 7mm RM over the course of twenty years or so though.

I haven't been thrilled by any of their bullets though other than the Interbond.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.