• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Pre-64 NEVER FIRED 300 Win Mag

I have a Remington 7mm RUM that is the same way. Gun was made a year before they actually introduced the 7 RUM. Had a guy on another forum tell me it's like new cars, you can buy a 2018 sometime in 2017. Not sure if it's true, my gun knowledge is limited. I thought I had a prototype or something along those lines, but it doesn't seem like it.

Winchester has made around 100 300 win mag rifles in the model 70 before 1963, the first being made in 61. That is what this here likely is.

The location of the proof mark is the most important thing in dating this gun. Several guns also serial numbered as 61s or so when indeed they left the factory later with 62/63 barrels

you cannot research old winchesters. they lost all records of winchesters many years ago, impossible to tell what was built in what configuration. but hey I dont know pre-64's :rolleyes:

Ok, what can I do if the records are lost? On Monday, I'm still calling Winchester and that blue book place.

It's still for sale for $3500. Price will only go up if I find out it's even more rare than it is now.

Pictures of the barrel markings will be forthcoming. Although I don't know what good it's going to since Winchester itself may not be able to help. And any opinions offered here are not made by experts in Winchester-lore.

And any opinions offered here are not made by experts in Winchester-lore.

I wouldn't be quite so sure about that. There are some very knowledgeable Pre-64 people on this forum (I'm certainly not putting myself in that group).

I would not consider myself an expert, but have bought, sold, and currently have a few pre-64 Model 70's. At one point I had several, but, getting on in my years, I'm reducing as opposed to adding.....but this is very difficult. I just passed on a very nice early 243 Winchester. But, I do have a few that I just can't seem to part with and they may go to the grave with me.

It's quite possible to have difficulty reconciling the serial numbers to dates, particularly towards the transition period between pre-64 and post-64 Model 70's(and Model 94's as well). Keep in mind that the same reciever was used for short and long actions, and existing stocks of pre-64 parts were being managed in preparation for the new models production process changeover and introduction. It should also be noted that the fit, finish, and overall workmanship of the last few years of pre-64 rifles were not up to the high standards of the earlier production rifles. However, when the post 64 came out, it was a disaster for Winchester. It took them a few years to clean up the sloppy bolt, and poor finish quality of the newly released, push feed Model 70. The "Riflemans Rifle" was declared dead, and so began the Pre-64 cult.

With all that, IMO, the asking price of the rifle shown in this thread looks to be a very fair. I'm sure there are hard core collectors that would be very interested in adding an unfired, mint sample of an early 300WM to their collection. If it had the original box and paperwork it would probably add around 10-20%. I think unaltered pre-64s are a solid investment.

My favorite hunting rifle for many years. A late 50's vintage Supergrade in 30-06. Also have an African in 458, and a 300H&H, both, late 50"s.

Attachments

• IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 16
As promised, additional pictures. There is a very very faint barrel marking that was made at the factory. It's so slight that I couldn't pick up a closeup of it with my camera. In the top right photo, you can barely see it. It almost looks like a piece of lint but it's not. Whatever marking it was, it's on the barrel and I think the same marking is on the receiver. But as far as any other stampings, there were none I could see.

Attachments

• DSCN0045.jpg
    DSCN0045.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0046.jpg
    DSCN0046.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0052.jpg
    DSCN0052.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0050.jpg
    DSCN0050.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 14
I believe the explanation of the date is simple. I think final approval for the 300 Win Mag was given in late 1962. I think several rifles were built in 1962 or with receivers built in 1962. I think your rifle is one of these. The 1963 catalog was the first catalog that listed them and that is why most people think no guns were built before 1963.

Ok, what can I do if the records are lost? On Monday, I'm still calling Winchester and that blue book place.

It's still for sale for $3500. Price will only go up if I find out it's even more rare than it is now.

Pictures of the barrel markings will be forthcoming. Although I don't know what good it's going to since Winchester itself may not be able to help. And any opinions offered here are not made by experts in Winchester-lore.
call the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, Wy.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/

they have the Winchester collection and may be of use/help to you...

As Lefty7mm kindly suggested, I contacted Center of the West. I must say, they have an impressive operation going out there. Anyway, here is Dan Brumley's response to my request for assistance. The important bit is at the bottom. As far as I'm concerned, the question of when the gun was built has been settled to 1962. Apparently Mr. Rule (mentioned below) was not aware of guns built in '62. So, who's the first bidder?

PS. Thanks Edd for your correct analysis of the situation you posted above.

"The Model 70 is considered by many to be the finest bolt-action rifle ever made in the U.S.A. and is often referred to as "The Rifleman's Rifle". The pre-1964 Model 70's are very collectable. The Model 70 was offered in the following standard calibers; .300 Savage, .35 Rem., .458 Win Mag, 7mm, .358 Win., .250-3000 Savage, .300 Win. Mag., .338 Win Mag, .375 H&H Mag., .257 Roberts, .220 Swift, .22 Hornet, .264 Win. Mag., .300 H&H Mag., .308 Win., .243 Win., .270 W.C.F., 7.65 mm Mauser, 9mm Mauser, and .30-06 Gov't.

The Model 70 was offered in a variety of styles: the Standard Rifle, the Super Grade, the Carbine, the National Match, the Target Model, the Bull Gun, the Featherweight, the Super Grade Featherweight, and the Varmint Rifle.

Standard barrels for all calibers were 24 inch except the 220 Swift and 375H&H had a 26 inch barrel and the 22 Hornet, 250-3000, 270, 30-06, 7MM, and 257 Roberts had a 20 inch barrel. Stocks were walnut and ranged from straight grain to extra fancy depending on the version of Model 70. The Model 70 has been made in over 87 versions throughout its production history.

Accredited museums, such as ours, are not permitted to provide pricing, values, or appraisals of any kind. For a specific value you will need the services of an experienced and respected firearms appraiser who will develop a written appraisal for you for a fee. If you only desire a ball park figure, we recommend the "Blue Book of Gun Values". It is authored by S. P. Fjestad and is widely available from your local book stores, gun shows, gun shops, libraries, and online at www.bluebookofgunvalues.com .

Your serial number 559XXX was produced in approximately 1962, according to secondary resources. Factory production records do not exist for the Model 70, therefore specific production data about your gun is not available. The popular opinion on pre-64 Model 70's is that serial numbers prior to 700,000 are pre-64. Also, in the book "The Rifleman's Rifle" by Roger Rule, he states that the .300 Win Mag was only produced in 1963."

Kind Regards;

Dan Brumley
Curatorial Assistant, Cody Firearms Museum