Prairie Hunting Advice for Montana

darylincda

Anybody have any contacts to recommend for prairie dog hunting in Montana? I am appreciative of any referrals.

I'm always curious about those guided hunts for Prarie dogs. I don't want to disparage an industry, but they are a nuisance animal, and I can't imagine it takes too much fighting to get a rancher to turn you loose on his Prarie dogs. Plus, in a state that's 40% public land, none of it has Prarie dogs? I know when I was stationed in Colorado, they seemed to be thick on every flat piece of ground in the state.

Do some googling. I don't have the name but there was/us a campground in Eastern MT that listed they can tell you where to go. Follow leads, local chambers of commerce, F&G sites, whatever.

My dad and I went to Montana in 2017 for p-dogs. I have an uncle that at the time had a small house there that they used as a crash pad during hunting season so he and a couple of other guys met us there and we all spend several days going after p-dogs.

We did not pay any guides ... Ranchers were happy to have us get rid of as many as we could ... ground squirrels too.

Without the local knowledge of my uncle, it certainly would have been more difficult because you have to be able to find the people who own the land to be able to get their permission. Aside from that, finding a p-dog town really just isn't that hard - even in Montana.

BTW - we were close to Turner, MT - about 10 miles south of the Canadian border in the eastern 1/3 of the state ...

If I could only go for a day, a guide might be worth it ... but I'd rather leverage friends/acquaintances I've met in places like here to point me in the direction of a farmer/rancher than needs to get rid of them and would gladly provide permission/access ...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.