prairie dog hunt this spring/summer locations?

backyardsniper

Wanting to do my first pdog shoot. Anybody got atdice on where to look prob gonna pay an outfitter cause I dont want to drive from ky and waste my time. Any advice greatly appreciated

I have been going to S.Dakota 15 out of the last 20 years there is 1000,s of PD towns there. I usually shoot in the area from peirre to rapid city and as fer north as southern N.dakota down to northern Nebraska. You can pay a guide or find the praire dog towns your self.Every small town will have a café and a motel.Go to the café about 7am and have breakfast many of the local ranchers will be there.When you go in be friendly and say howdy. Then just ask if any one knows of any PD town that you may shoot or stop at some of the the ranches and just ask them if they don't have any ask if they might know of somebody that does. I have never had any body get upset that I ask them.I always take some ball caps or belt buckles that I get from cabela's and when they let me shoot or give me a lead I give them one then they will remember you next time. Follow the rules if the gate is closed when you go through itmake sure you close it behind you.Don't leave a mess!leave it like you found it.If you shoot a wire on a fence repair it.When your leaving stop and tell them Thanks.when you go into a town get a county map it will have the name of every ranch ownerand all of the roads,then when you shoot a tone make notes of location, good town or badowners name ect. It will be good for next year.Good Luck

I have shot at Lamar Colorado several times, great shooting. Shot over 2000 rd in two days. Just go to the local gas station with a coffee bar and ask the locals where you can shoot. You will have more names than you can call and most likely one of them will get you set up. I have been told South of Dodge City Kansas is good shooting also by guys I talk to on Ham Radio.

Attachments

• Bench 1.JPG
    Bench 1.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Backyardsniper, I am from the Mid Tennessee area and have traveled to S. Dakota 3 times in the last 8 years to shoot dogs with several friends. Our first year we attempted to shoot on the Indian Reservations but when we got there we could not even get our guide to call us back so we had to improvise into a DIY hunt on the National Grasslands. I am so glad we did... It is actually incredible country driving thru the Grasslands, Millions of acres and not a cell phone tower in site:) Plenty of dogs to shoot at and just in general massive fun. We like most i assume shot several thousand rounds and ended up shooting as much 22 mag and 17 HMR as 223.. If you are interested, i would be glad to talk to you about how we have done it when we go. We always go to the same places and dogs have always been there. We tried a trip thru the Nebraska Grasslands this summer on our way to Rapid City but the plaque had just about wiped those out. Just let me know if you are interested. Good luck on your hunt, take lots of cleaning supplies and a large hat:)

The first time I went dog hunting in the fall I planed to go to the Dakotas but changed our plans at the last minute. Good we did because it snowed 11 in. up there. My brother and another guy talked us into a Colorado shoot. Warm and dry and lots of dogs. I have not been out to shoot any in the past few years. The wife thinks it not money well spent. She doesn't know I really don't care. It's her job to save the money and my job to spend it and I try to keep up my part of the bargain. I built two of those shooting benches in the picture for my brother and a friend but have not finished mine, have to get back on it. After I retired I have less time to do things or maybe I am doing to many things. I volunteer at Conservation shòting range and shoot two times a week besides that. Hope you get out after Dogs more than I do. My newest gun in 6.5 Creedmoor Precision. I would like to introduce it to some dogs.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm definitely gonna try to plan a shoot in the near future. In still haven't had a chance to get out there yet
Backyard sniper good looking Mal in your picture I take it you maybe your in LE if so Thank you for your service . I'm retired LE from Texas and worked K9 for 25 yrs . Good luck with your PD hunt ,been up to South Dakota twice and had lots of fun shooting PD s

Late to the this thread, however, I would recommend checking out Q Creek Ranch in Wyoming. Fantastic Lodge, Plenty of doggies near and far...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.