powder burn rates and humidity

I have been aware of this for many years . I have my powder in original tightly capped containers inside an old well sealed non working refrigerator . This keeps the cans somewhat isolated from the temp and humidity changes outside .

Are we talking shooting or storage?

I record temp, but not humidity in my logs. BUt ya, I am sure if could be an issue.

As for storing powder, you should store ammo with the same concerns.

Mine is not hermatically sealed in Funk and Wagners backyard, but I get the point of doing it. I am not in the south either.

They are talking moisture ingress during re-loading and storage of rounds .
Re-loads are generally not as well sealed as Commercial rounds and definitely not as well sealed as Military rounds . So the problem would vary .
The way powder manufacturers sometimes store bulk powder in large magazines at the factory ( silos ) humidity would also affect that powder before it's canned and sold .

Lefty, I've solved the humidity problem. I live here in the Az desert where 10% is a sweltering day. Keeping powders indoors with the climate control and the can lids tight is about it. Still would like to see data.

"The fact that you are a sheriff from Texas is not germaine to the situation ."

Sheriff Buford T. Justice's reply was " G.. D... Germans got nuthin to do with it "
From: SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT , starring Burt Reynolds , Jackie Gleason , and Sally Field . 1976 .

Are we talking shooting or storage?

I record temp, but not humidity in my logs. BUt ya, I am sure if could be an issue.

As for storing powder, you should store ammo with the same concerns.

Mine is not hermatically sealed in Funk and Wagners backyard, but I get the point of doing it. I am not in the south either.

Where did that line about hermetically sealed come from? The only place, time, and person I've ever heard use that is my HS English teacher when he referred to their dictionary as "The Book of all Knowledge". I know this isn't shooting related but inquiring minds want to know.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts