Post your 2016 speed goat kills here!!

Awesome Wyoming Opener

This was a great weekend.

As some of you know, I guide antelope hunters each year here on the ranch. Being that it's just me, I never take large parties or book more than one small group at a time. Usually, I am taking out father's and sons. This year's opener though, I had the pleasure of guiding a three generation hunt for a group out of Wisconsin.

We were very fortunate to get set up on three different bucks within the first three hours.

3 Generations
3 Tags Filled
3 Hours

I want to give a great big "THANK YOU" to Ernie Bishop for sending the Fritsch Family my way.
------------------------
Since I had some free time, I decided I wanted to try and fill my own tag today. I harvested a nice buck at 250 yards last year, so this year I wanted to up the degree of difficulty a little.

My rifle is a Remington 700 308 built by, Chuck McIntosh, of Mac's Gunworks in Gillette, Wyoming. Chuck also happens to be like a brother to me, so I asked him to tag along on this hunt. I was wanting to stretch the legs on my rifle a little bit, but still take a shot well within my skill limits and the capabilities of my rifle. Chuck's job was going to be calling distance and dope adjustments for me.

We got on a group of 14 antelope that decided to leave the country as soon as they spied us spying them. I knew they wouldn't go far though, so once they ducked behind the next ridge we eased up a little ways and peaked over the top. It took a couple minutes for the buck to turn a little, since he'd started out showing us his south end. After a minute or so, he turned to where he was quartering away a little and, Chuck, called the range at 662 yards along with the correct dope adjustment.

A steady rest and a mil to the left for windage and the Burger 175 did its job. The lungs were destroyed and the goat went down after 15 steps.

We saw alot of good game and glassed several good elk today. We even saw quite a few better antelope bucks at closer ranges. The shot was what we were after though and I am pretty proud of making a clean harvest on a decent buck.

Tex

Attachments

• 20161001_093325_resized.jpg
    20161001_093325_resized.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 20161002_124547_resized.jpg
    20161002_124547_resized.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Re: Awesome Wyoming Opener

This was a great weekend.

As some of you know, I guide antelope hunters each year here on the ranch. Being that it's just me, I never take large parties or book more than one small group at a time. Usually, I am taking out father's and sons. This year's opener though, I had the pleasure of guiding a three generation hunt for a group out of Wisconsin.

We were very fortunate to get set up on three different bucks within the first three hours.

3 Generations
3 Tags Filled
3 Hours

I want to give a great big "THANK YOU" to Ernie Bishop for sending the Fritsch Family my way.
------------------------
Since I had some free time, I decided I wanted to try and fill my own tag today. I harvested a nice buck at 250 yards last year, so this year I wanted to up the degree of difficulty a little.

My rifle is a Remington 700 308 built by, Chuck McIntosh, of Mac's Gunworks in Gillette, Wyoming. Chuck also happens to be like a brother to me, so I asked him to tag along on this hunt. I was wanting to stretch the legs on my rifle a little bit, but still take a shot well within my skill limits and the capabilities of my rifle. Chuck's job was going to be calling distance and dope adjustments for me.

We got on a group of 14 antelope that decided to leave the country as soon as they spied us spying them. I knew they wouldn't go far though, so once they ducked behind the next ridge we eased up a little ways and peaked over the top. It took a couple minutes for the buck to turn a little, since he'd started out showing us his south end. After a minute or so, he turned to where he was quartering away a little and, Chuck, called the range at 662 yards along with the correct dope adjustment.

A steady rest and a mil to the left for windage and the Burger 175 did its job. The lungs were destroyed and the goat went down after 15 steps.

We saw alot of good game and glassed several good elk today. We even saw quite a few better antelope bucks at closer ranges. The shot was what we were after though and I am pretty proud of making a clean harvest on a decent buck.

Tex

I live in southwest Wyoming, and I have heard alot about chuck, hear he does a good job. I'm thinking about taking my next rifle to him

Got my goat 2 days ago

Taken with my .260 Ackley, 140 Berger VLD hunting
Taxidermist green scored him at 80-6/8
876 yards, link to the video below, my dad was the cameraman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afN8ZrFeTls
That sir is a monster.

How did you find a day in Wyoming with no wind?:)

Two solid hits? For it's size antelope are amazingly tough and sometimes just refuse to go down.

Congrats on an amazing buck and some great shooting.

Having read through the rest of the thread congrats to all of you. When we first started hunting Antelope in NM in 1973 anything over 15" was considered to be a great trophy and it looks like you all beat that by a long ways.

That sir is a monster.

How did you find a day in Wyoming with no wind?:)

Two solid hits? For it's size antelope are amazingly tough and sometimes just refuse to go down.

Congrats on an amazing buck and some great shooting.

My first hit was a little far back, the lack of wind threw me off as well, and I doped for a couple mph too much wind. But I saw my hit, adjusted about 1 MOA, and put my second hit right behind the shoulder and it exited on the off side on the point of the shoulder ha ha

Wyoming public land. Had intention of hunting with a 6.5 grendel which didn't work out, decided to bring my new Tikka 260...that didn't work out either. Ended up using a 40 year old 270 win on a 700 action. Just 220 yards out. Haven't laid a tape on it yet, but looks to be around 14".
20161004_084625_zpsab9cuviv.jpg

My first hit was a little far back, the lack of wind threw me off as well, and I doped for a couple mph too much wind. But I saw my hit, adjusted about 1 MOA, and put my second hit right behind the shoulder and it exited on the off side on the point of the shoulder ha ha
You should be very proud. Congrats.

My first ever Antelope Hunt was awesome and I will definitely do it again.

Got my goat the first morning in Casper, WY with SNS Outfitters. One shot dropped him at 304 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor using 130gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets.

Haven't put a tape to him, but I will as soon as the Taxidermist gets the mount back to me.

Attachments

• IMG950198-1.jpg
    IMG950198-1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
He looks awfully nice from where I'm sitting.

NM Pronghorn was the first large game animal I hunted as a kid and I'm really getting an ache to give it another try next year if everything works out.

I miss that country and it's just one heck of a fun hunt if you do it right.

My first ever Antelope Hunt was awesome and I will definitely do it again.

Got my goat the first morning in Casper, WY with SNS Outfitters. One shot dropped him at 304 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor using 130gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets.

Haven't put a tape to him, but I will as soon as the Taxidermist gets the mount back to me.

I would say high 60's to low 70's, nice first goat!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts