Post Your 2016 Deer Season Success Here

Mine and a buddies deer from Oct 12th, Near Poccatello ID. Mine was the smaller one, and his the larger. I was carrying my rem700 ADL .270 WIN with a fixed 6 power leupold, and my buddy had a 7MM STW with a 4-12. We spotted these guys with 3 other bucks at about 800 yards but a long draw. Played the waiting game and three of them came our way. Once they went into a thicket we moved to a better position and waited for them to come out. It was almost dark (maybye 10 min of shooting light left) when we saw them again. Instead of coming out where we thought they would, going down the draw, they popped out the side headed straight to us. As they got to about 200 yards, two does popped up right next to us down wind and busted us. The bucks took off across the draw on cue from the does. I Meeped at them when they popped up the other side and were somewhere between 350 and 400 yards (no rangefinder). Luckily the 3x4 i took stopped and looked back at us. I aimed about 12-18" over its back and took the shot. I lost sight of him from the recoil, but my buddy said he went up on his back legs and dropped down into a bush. All the other deer seemed to disappear over the hillside. We worked our way down the draw to look for mine and at the bottom spooked up a couple does. At this point we looked up and saw the bigger 4 point looking at us from about 100 yards! My buddy took a shot and he dropped down for a second and got back up and staggered behind a bush. The shot was a bit far back, but being an offhand shot we werent sure how far. As we got closer to the bush the buck jumped up and went another 50 yards. We approached him again an were able to dispatch him with my 9mm. Another 20 min of searching and we found mine piled up deep in some brush about halfway up the mountain. It was an awesome hunt, and one for the memory books.
alexs%20buck.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
mikes%20buck.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
two%20bucks%20down.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Helped my dad get this buck, black tail from northern California. Not even remotely a long shot but his biggest buck to date and he was tickled to death. I passed a lot of bucks as I was looking for something bigger and ended up just killing coyotes, lol. His shot was 127 yards, Winchester model 70 in .243 using the Hornady Whitetail 100 grain interlock ammo.

I killed this buck with my bow in late December. I had him and two other shooters patterned. They didn't make it back to their bed until well after light so I snuck in and set up 20 yards from the main trail on the ground. He decided to take a different trail which would take him down wind and out of range. I had to move or I wouldn't get a shot. I made it to a downfall before he seen me but he was still 70 yards away. I drew and settled my 70 yard pin behind the shoulder and let it fly. The arrow found its mark and he bled out quick. This is my farthest kill with my bow.

Attachments

• IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 144
Drew a multi-season tag here in Washington. Which just gets me wound up to chase big muleys! Had several chances at multiple many bucks nothing worthy of my standards. As I've done for the last few years.. once muley season closes I shoot the first basket racked 3 point that shows up. 640 yds right before dark this guy showed up and collected a 300 gr Berger Elite. To my surprise not nearly as much damage as one would think

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1484650023806.jpg
    FB_IMG_1484650023806.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 110
After the regular season was over, I got a call from the fish and game. They asked if I wanted to participate in a depredation hunt, to help remove some whitetails from ranches that are being overrun in western South Dakota. I happily abliged and took my 4yr old daughter with me. It wasn't long range by any means, one deer was only 20yds and the longest was probably 90yds. But it was a fun opportunity to introduce my daughter to deer hunting and a chance to harvest some deer with a 110yr old family heirloom savage 1899 30-30.

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 123
Here's my 4th season buck. It was a tough year for finding a good buck. Lots of nice 3x4's and smaller bucks. Found this one on the last mourning. I was shooting a pre-64 model 70 with a 24" benchmark barrel chambered in 6.5x55 swede 140 grain Berger hvlds at 2800 fps. First shot was about 300 yards while he was walking away he went a few steps, staggered and turned sideways and anchored him with a second shot at 330 to the boiler room. Probably didn't need to shoot a second time but never know. This was my first year using berger bullets and I can say I'm impressed.

that's a fine kill you got there, nice one.

I wanted my kids to go on an adventure with me so we took a canoe trip down the Missouri River and camped on an island during Montana's 2-day youth hunt. We saw quite a bit of game, both kids had opportunities to stalk multiple bucks, both tagged out, and we all made some great memories. One of my favorite hunts so far.

Attachments

• Bailey Buck 2016.jpg
    Bailey Buck 2016.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Deer and Tent 2016.jpg
    Deer and Tent 2016.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Carsten Buck 2016.jpg
    Carsten Buck 2016.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 130
  • Stafford Ferry Youth Hunt 2016.jpg
    Stafford Ferry Youth Hunt 2016.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Carsten 1st Coyote 2016.jpg
    Carsten 1st Coyote 2016.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Youth Hunt 2016 Canoe.jpg
    Youth Hunt 2016 Canoe.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 117
Got this 177 inch gross deer in east TN in mid nov 2016. Waiting to get it back from taxidermist to see what the official score will be. The county record where I live is 177 also. Absolutly the deer of a lifetime here in east TN. Got it with my TC pro hunter 50 cal muzzleloader. 290 grain Barnes TMZ with three triple 7 pellets. a none long range 70 yards but only had a four or five inch window to shoot and I could barely hold the gun between the trees to get shot down the narrow lane I had. I was so nervous I was still shaking long after the shot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 157
Got this 177 inch gross deer in east TN in mid nov 2016. Waiting to get it back from taxidermist to see what the official score will be. The county record where I live is 177 also. Absolutly the deer of a lifetime here in east TN. Got it with my TC pro hunter 50 cal muzzleloader. 290 grain Barnes TMZ with three triple 7 pellets. a none long range 70 yards but only had a four or five inch window to shoot and I could barely hold the gun between the trees to get shot down the narrow lane I had. I was so nervous I was still shaking long after the shot.

Wow! Congratulations. Which county? I grew up in east TN. Long time OR resident now, but I was born in Blount county. So know the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts