Poor quality EBay Steel targets

Kansaswoodguy

I recently purchased a couple of supposedly AR500 targets from an Ebay seller kylharn and they arrived today. I tried my AR15 with 75gr match bullets and saw very slight pitting at 100 yards and more pronounced pitting with my 25-06 at that range. I then thought I'd grab a AR400 target I had laying around for 22 plinking. I then shot the AR400 target at 100 yards and the pitting was remarkably similar to the supposedly AR500 targets. I'm going to keep the targets because I intend to use these targets at between 500-800 yards but if they where for a 100 yard range I would be very disappointed in the hardness of these targets as they wouldn't last as compared to my true AR500 targets from different venders have done.

AR500 will still dimple with high speed rounds like that at close range. I see the same things on my for sure AR500 plates. the 556 stops dimpling around 200yds. it happens, it's just not that bad. pop a mild steel at the same range and you'll see that your plates are definintely harder.

AR500 will still dimple with high speed rounds like that at close range. I see the same things on my for sure AR500 plates. the 556 stops dimpling around 200yds. it happens, it's just not that bad. pop a mild steel at the same range and you'll see that your plates are definintely harder.
+1
Many places have speed limits on shooting steel. Foe example a 50 gr .220 Swift bullet may shoot through steel quicker that some AP rounds.

Good luck

Jerry

Not many PRS matches will shoot steel at 100-200 yards because of this reason. There is one place I shoot at occasionally, Volusia County Gun Range. We will shoot prairie dog popper at those distances and that's it for steel. Believe me, they are beat up...

I have many other AR500 targets never seen anything close to this except with that old AR400 target I have laying around my guess is this guy is selling AR400 targets. If I had issues like this with my other AR500 targets I'd of started buying AR550 targets long ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.