Poll: Vortex Viper or Hawke Sidewinder

Vortex Viper or Hawke Optics Sidewinder?

• Hawke Sidewinder

Votes: 33 9.3%
  • Vortex Viper

Votes: 322 90.7%

• Total voters

95huskers

Ok guys, thanks for all of the help narrowing down my scope selection for me. This newbie to long range shooting really appreciates it. I am down to two scopes I'm trying to choose from and they are these two:

Hawke: Hawke 6-24x56 Sidewinder 30mm Riflescope

Vortex: Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope

Which one of these will be my better option? I like the mildot reticle on the Hawke but am tempted to try the Dead Hold BDC reticle rather than Mildot if I go with the Viper...any thoughts??

Ok guys, thanks for all of the help narrowing down my scope selection for me. This newbie to long range shooting really appreciates it. I am down to two scopes I'm trying to choose from and they are these two:

Hawke: Hawke 6-24x56 Sidewinder 30mm Riflescope

Vortex: Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope

Which one of these will be my better option? I like the mildot reticle on the Hawke but am tempted to try the Dead Hold BDC reticle rather than Mildot if I go with the Viper...any thoughts??
I like what I read on both but haven't gambled on one for myself.

Google "Sniper's Hide Review" for each of them.

That's a very good source for unbiased reviews.

I've got Vortex Viper PST with mildot and matching turrets on a 300wm and absolutely love it,

gun)

I have a 6.5X20 and it lasted about 50 shots of 30/06. Had to send it back for repairs. The elevation adjustment got screwed up some how.

They did a fast turn around with the repairs and it now has probably 15 rounds through it now. Seems OK.

I like the scope as far as it's clarity and tracking ability but was sure disapointed having to send it for repairs so soon. **** happens I suppose.

Regards, Keith

Last edited:
I own two Vipers ,one on a 300wsm rifle and one on a sav.striker pistol in .308 win. I'm very happy with both of them. Only had the striker since may and have put around 300 rounds thru it, the 300wsm has about 500 rounds thru it and both scopes are functioning perfectly.

I own two Vipers ,one on a 300wsm rifle and one on a sav.striker pistol in .308 win. I'm very happy with both of them. Only had the striker since may and have put around 300 rounds thru it, the 300wsm has about 500 rounds thru it and both scopes are functioning perfectly.
Sounds u got great stuff.

I just scored a brand new Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X44 on opticsplanet.com for 449 with free shipping and a 5% off promotional code! I just scored big time. Vortexoptics.com has that scope for $600 msrp! Jam!

BUT to answer your thread poll.. give me about 3 days til the scope gets here.. and then Ill tell you how much I like vortex optics. It will be my first! :D

Hawke scopes are made in China except for the top end Frontiers that are made in Japan.

I have one of the Chinese Hawke scopes. It sits on a PCP air rifle with almost no recoil.

Almost all Chinese scopes suffer failure after use on springer air rifles or heavy magnum recoil. The parallax ring scales are usually way off as well. There are other issues you will spot after you own them a while. Always choose the Japanese scope if you can afford it.

My Hawke scope has a good ballistic reticle with a well designed Christmas Tree configuration that is etched on glass and well illuminated for night use. Way better than most Chinese scopes, but it will stay dedicated to night use on an air rifle or rimfire due to the 50mm objective.

My neighbor just picked up a hawke sidewinder 30 8x32-56, it is AWESOME!!! I really like the recital. its got mil dots and little hashes in between them its a great scope, I found it local in the classifieds for 200

I got a Hawke Sidewinder Tac 30 8.5-25x42

Mounted it on my CZ 455. Tracks well and returns to zero. Reticule is awesome. Bright optics. I will post if it goes bad as it is the third scope on this rifle....the others were centerpoint and tasco.

I really like the hawkes! Local shop has them on special! 6.5-20 42MM with the sice focus and 30MM tube and the 4-14 too $350 shipped TYD! can't beat that for either one! I have shot them on hunting guns and comp guns. message me if you want info.

I just got a Viper and am impressed with it. The eye relief is a little strange over 15X but the glass is great and the scope tracks perfectly so far. Mine is on a Savage Predator in 260 and it is a great combo. Vortex has the lifetime VIP warranty which helped make my decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts