Patrick F McManus

Hey, I had a friend introduce me to his books shortly after I joined the Army. He was very talented writer. I believe I have every book he wrote. For three or four years my FIL got me a signed copy of his latest. When we went camping I read them to my kids. Good times.
Take Care

was it field & stream he wrote the article in on the last page?
It was always more than interesting, very entertaining.
And the illustrations helped.

Now I see it was outdoor life, as stated above.

There alot to be learned from those books.
Especially when it comes to hauling deer on bicycle.

was it field & stream he wrote the article in on the last page?
It was always more than interesting, very entertaining.
And the illustrations helped.

Now I see it was outdoor life, as stated above.
He wrote for both magazines. I have told my wife stories of things my brothers and the neighbor boys did growing up. She was sure some of Patrick's stories were based on us. I just told her that most poor country kids did stupid stuff when chores were done and no adults were around.

Thanks for starting this. I mentioned him in the thread about canoes. I started reading his books in 1985, and have all of them. My mother and father gave them all to me over a few years as birthday and Christmas gifts. Started with They shoot Canoes, and the collection grew. Rancid was my favorite and I loved his "interaction" with Grammy. What great times they "shared". It was about this time that I had to get glasses, and the story of Pat needing glasses then seeing Rancid pull out his glasses to tie on a fly, made me feel I was not alone, plus probably not going to be "charged by an enraged Rhino in Eastern NC". Was saddened a few years back when I read of his passing. Felt like I grew up with him, which I guess I did.

Thanks for starting this. I mentioned him in the thread about canoes. I started reading his books in 1985, and have all of them. My mother and father gave them all to me over a few years as birthday and Christmas gifts. Started with They shoot Canoes, and the collection grew. Rancid was my favorite and I loved his "interaction" with Grammy. What great times they "shared". It was about this time that I had to get glasses, and the story of Pat needing glasses then seeing Rancid pull out his glasses to tie on a fly, made me feel I was not alone, plus probably not going to be "charged by an enraged Rhino in Eastern NC". Was saddened a few years back when I read of his passing. Felt like I grew up with him, which I guess I did.
I'm glad you mentioned Patrick on the canoe thread. I have to dig out my copies and read them again.

Too many great ones to pick a favorite, but clapping with his shoulder blades, and rancid telling granny to stop her singing (when she was banging pots to scare the skunk) anything with Strange the dog, and the ice shack.