Over the shoulder bull elk

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
199380293-L.jpg

Here is a taste of what I am getting in Rocky Mountain National Park today.

There are many opportunities for full, broadside shots but I was looking for something a little different. Very cloudy but that isn't all bad since it provides even lighting. This guy was hooking grass (in his antlers) and brush while I watched.

I shot this at F11 to gain maximum depth of focus. Shutter speed was only 1/100 but he was calm.

Nikon D2X
200-400 VR lens

Last edited:
Len,

Nice bull! You can even take a "Texas Heart Shot" w/o any concern at f11. Thanks for sharing your bull.

I hope the fall colors are all that you hoped they would be. I went out this weekend (also in the rain) and drove part way to Jackson, Wyoming. Lots of red maples but the aspen had yet to turn for the most part; just one golden tree here and another over there.

I intend to be in Yellowstone NP this Saturday as my new 200-400 VR lens showed up. However, I am sitting here with a really impressive Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and no word on the Wimberley head that will bring it all together. I tried several shots hand holding that big lens with acceptable results but can't think you could do that for very long.

Thanks, Craig in
SE Idaho

Craig, in a pinch you can use your ball-head and leave it loose with the VR turned on.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.