Off grid communication and maps

I thought there might be something good there also, but it appears to be line-of-sight and signal is one watt. The best thing about it, seems to be you can recharge your cell phone battery from it. The text function MIGHT work at slightly longer distance. If so, you might be able to communicate with your hunting partners IF they also purchase the unit. I just don't see anything in it, for the time being.

It is sold in pairs. At least for now. Since it would be useless with only one.

will do. I plan to test the range and how sensitive the line of sight is as soon as I get them.

I received this a little while ago. It is still early product stage but it seems to work really good.

My wife and I took them hiking in the Tennessee hills last weekend and we were able to communicate well. It does require line of sight but was good to as much range as we could get in the hills(probably about a mile). My brother in law said he got it up to 3 miles on the beach in California.

The Map downloads are good. One minor issue currently you have to down load the default map scheme as well as any of the other schemes that you want to use for the area you need. If you don't download the default scheme it can't locate you on that one once you have no data so it does not work. As long as you have the default scheme though you can use any of the others with no problem.

You can also send your location to anyone you are able to talk to. Looks like there may be more features coming.

I'm going to be incommunicado for a few weeks but will answer any questions to the best of my ability when I get back.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.