Nx8 vs atacr

Joefrazell

Looking at buying my first high end optic. I've been looking at getting the 4-16x44 atacr f1. Also looking at the nx8 4-32 f1. I like the idea of the extra magnification of the nx8. I've heard the eyebox isn't as forgiving and the glass isn't as good. My intended use is shooting out to 1200 maybe a mile now and again but regularly probably 100-1000. Also for hunting out to 1k very max. I've used a 4-16 vortex in the past and shot out to 1250 and it was ok as far as magnification but the glass isn't anything to write home about. I'll be shooting the rifle at the range about 10/1 with the less being hunting. It will be in a bolt gun. 300 win, 6.5 cm ect.

My gut tells me the atacr is enough magnification and built better but I want others opinions and experiences.

Is the nx8 built like a tank like everyone says the atacr is? I know I probably don't need a scope built like a tank but would rather not have any failures.

Weight of the two scopes is very close and is why I'm considering these two. Also looked at a mark 5 but have since gravitated toward nightforce. I just don't want to regret my choice. Thanks

I have the ATACR 5-25 though. I was looking real hard at the 4-32, but I rarely stay at 25 with my current ATACR. I wanted the extra mag, but I'm not sure I would use it. Now when I'm shooting paper and steel, I stay at 25 a lot. I really want a 7-35 ATACR, but I'm just not there to take advantage of that scope right now and see little benefit compared to the 5-25.

That doesn't really help you, but I have zero regret going with the ATACR. When the funds are available, I will be buying another one though, you can bet your pants on that.

Atacr 4-16's are about the perfect hunting scope IMO. It might leave you wanting just a little bit at the ranges your talking about though. Out to 1000 no problem. 1 mile is pushing it for my eyes and 16x for sure. The new 4-20 would be better if your gonna stretch it out frequently but it's also heavier by a few oz and not quite as compact and more $$$.

If I was 10-1 at the range vs hunting at the ranges your talking about I think I would almost just deal with the size/weight and go with a 5-25 atacr. All depends on how much weight your willing to deal with.

IMO nobody is going to chose a NX8 over an atacr if you have them side by side.

The 4-16 is a great scope, just heavy.

The size/weight is what makes the NX8 series really shine.

Just because you have a high end of something like 32x doesn't mean you use it. I often dial down due to mirage, etc., but its nice to have options. I will say I use magnification well beyond 16x for long range stuff.

Have and have had both. ATACR better glass and eyebox but more weight. NX8 solid scope, you WILL give up glass performance but have lighter weight. 4-16 ATACR power will not be a disadvantage to the 32 power of the NX8. Just my 2 cents.

My gut tells me the atacr is enough magnification and built better but I want others opinions and experiences.

Is the nx8 built like a tank like everyone says the atacr is? I know I probably don't need a scope built like a tank but would rather not have any failures.
In my opinion, your gut is correct. The ATACR is enough magnification for your needs. The quality of the ATACR magnification should compensate for the lesser amount of magnification between your two choices.

The NX8 seems very durable. But, "Built like a tank," does not come to mind like it does with the ATACR.

Well in the past few days I've really been doing alot of research and reading reviews. One of the scopes that had been on my radar for awhile was the leopold mark 5. All reviews I've read say the glass is better in the mark 5 than the atacr. I happened to find a 3.6-18 mark 5 illuminated w/ pr1 moa reticle for $1936 as it was a demo version. I went ahead and made the purchase. After lots and lots of debate in my head I felt that the mark 5 offers alot for the price point and when I saw the demo price of over $300 off I felt it was the right choice.

Glass is so over rated in scopes. We use binos or spotters to find game. You need good glass even less for target shooting. Any NF has better glass in it than you need for any practical purpose. And I love good glass. I can see bullet holes at 600yds in my old 22x NXS when theres no mirage. So Id put that down the list a ways. Look at weight, power range, reticles, adjustment range, ext.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts