Not sure if right section. Upgrade scope or look for a new one?

Eselkopf1

I can be long winded sometimes with this sort of thing so my apologies. K here goes.

I'm an ex drill sergeant and marksmanship instructor. Also a college student and on a budget. I'm a capable marksman within realistic combat ranges with various weapons. But I'm interested in getting started in longer range shooting.

I'm getting started hunting out here in Colorado where ranges can be long, and I do want to make ethical kills. I'm waiting on my draw from pronghorn, deer, and elk.

I'm also short on cash. So...

Equipment info:

-I scored a Winchester model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag at a pawnshop for 225. Low wear, low rounds judging by the bolt face and extractor wear. By the finish I'd say it was in a closet for a decade at least.

-Found an older Leopold vari-x 2 3x9 40mm scope. It is old enough to not have clickers in the adjustments for 80 bucks. Which I thought was pretty sweet. 4-12x would have been better but you know how running used goes.

-Scope rings are I forgot what, but they are the 30-40 dollar variety off the shelf.

I joined a gun club out in Wyoming not far from me and started collecting data on off the shelf ammo. The club is nice, and also has a KD range out to 700 yards. Best groups are with Remington Accutip boat tails in 140 grain. I know i'll have to get data on heavier rounds for elk. I got good 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards and a good zero. Which I was pretty happy about for the cost and just slapping it together with a cheap line level.

So here's the decision I am trying to make. I called Leopold. I can send the scope in and get clickers installed for $110 then I can get an exposed elevation turret for $70 more once I have my data nailed down. I forgot to ask if I would have the option of mils or moa, but that's a moot point for me right now.

I am interested in being able to use the 7mm's full distance out to 1250 pounds impact. Which by the figures I have seen and the calculations I have done online is at around 550 yards if I remember correctly for the 140 grain.

So finally here the question.

If you were me, what would you do? Upgrade the vari-x 2 to clicker adjustments or keep an eye out for something else on the used market? Or leave it alone, and work with the friction adjustments. Im not sure what my repeatability for ranging would be with the friction based adjustments though.

I still need to get a range finder so yeah.

This is going to be my only big game rifle for at least 2 or 3 seasons.

If you made it this far, then I thank you.

I don't think the friction adjustment is going to work for you for dialing shots. I have heard mixed reports on retrofitting a Leupold scope but they do seem to work OK. That is what I would do, or keep an eye out for a fixed power Super Sniper on Snipers Hide, AR-15.com or similar place. Upgrading the Leupold should work fine for 550 yards, I think.

Thanks for your reply. That's what I was thinking. The setup groups way beyond my expectations. I never thought I'd get sub moa but I did so right now I'm thinking this is the best course of action.

I would watch for something else on the used market . I personally think the upgrade on the quality of glass from a VX2 to a VX3 is substantial enough to make it worth the little bit in price difference to upgrade, even if you don't end up with exposed turrets.

Ex soldier , War vet , Ex Para Military officer here . 3 to 9 x 40 is very limited as a long range scope and also the friction turrets no good at all .
The truth is for long range shooting the scopes suitability is the most important part .
I know what you are talking about as far as low on cash goes no fighting soldier ever becomes rich unless your crooked .
I would not spend anymore money on that scope . You need to save longer and buy something like a 4 to 16 x 50 Vortex viper PST with a mil hash mark reticule and mil turrets . Or the MOA version if you like that better .
It's just an unfortunate fact that long range requires certain types of scopes with more magnification power , better aiming precision and easier to use open click turrets .
I would buy the scope first and the range finder later .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRpBxLbxhAo

I tend to agree with the replace it camp. The nice part about that is two-fold: 1) I'd expect there to be a bunch of Vortex glass on the market shortly, since the PST Gen II just came out. 2) you're hitting now, and 550 yards isn't super long distance, such that you need be in any rush to upgrade. And above all, you're hitting now. So until you want to shoot more rapidly, longer, competition, etc, you've got time to save and get it right.

Leupold also gives a very nice mil discount - look into it and see if it brings a VX3i or VX6 into your price range. Or the various online sellers. Or the other brands.

Best of luck, and one vet to another: thanks for your service. Welcome home.

Whether friction or clicks, having owned a few of the VX-2 and 3's over the years, the turret reproducibility is quite poor. I would put the $ towards a better used scope with higher magnification. For the requirements you describe you may be able to find a low cost, good used Leupold with a ballistic reticle(B&C). Several years ago I had good success Deer hunting out to 500 yards with a VX3 4.5x14x40 with a B&C reticle. I now use it on my 22-250 for coyotes out to 500 yards.

You should really have adjustable parallax so if your VX-2 doesn't then that is another reason to save up for a better scope.

You should really have adjustable parallax so if your VX-2 doesn't then that is another reason to save up for a better scope.
I agree it's not until you start aiming at targets at longer ranges that you see you need a better scope . Are you related to Len the guy that runs this site ? No reason just curious .

OP, here goes my $0.02. I know the struggle. I'm still active duty, and single, so my income stream is pretty easy to budget for new cool stuff. Before I enlisted however, I was a broke college student like yourself, and was having the damndest time coming up with new gear. I felt like I needed top of the line equipment for this adventure, and although it helps, it is not necessary. Acquire gear over time, and you won't even know you're doing it. There is always something fancier on the market, and I'm sure one day you'll take the plunge. The 7mm RM is a great cartridge to start off with, and there is no issue there. Find a good high B.C. bullet that it likes, and now one of your bases are covered. Next comes my reply to your question. Optics will make or break your long range shooting experience. I would hold off on trying to upgrade your scope, and for your first year or two, keep saving up that little extra BAH/BAS you get, and buy a vortex PST/HSLR/HST or something that has a 16X or higher upper end, and exposed turrets. You can find a few of these models for $450 bucks or a little more with some research. It would probably be best for you to get out and learn your areas, do a ton of scouting, and see what your average shot distances will be, and practice out to about 200 yards further than that, so you are extra comfortable when buck/bull fever sets in. This game cleans out bank accounts if you aren't careful, but with some research you can come up with a sweet setup for under $1K and they will get the job done. Learn your rifle, learn your hunting grounds, and save up for a better scope. I started with a 7mm RM myself, sold it to buy a savage 111 LRH in 6.5X284, and then put a Vortex HSLR 4-16X44 on top and was getting 1st and 2nd round impacts from 750-1000 yards. I saved up enough money over the last 4 years to buy a fully custom 6.5 Creedmoor and Vortex HD Razor as an ETS present to myself. Good luck in school, and even better luck on your new adventure. Hope this helps

Hey Drill,
I feel ya as well, most of my equipment is the result of "gifts" from my wife after deployments.
Here is what I would do in your position (actually what I did do): either get the reticle changed or invest in a budget scope with a mil or Moa reticle (not a gimmicky BDC reticle). Sorry to say that I would NOT trust the adjustments in that scope. I would go with the mil or moa reticle because that would give you the ability to use a ballistic app to continuously update changing conditions, like barometric pressure difference that will come with the drastic changes in altitude I have encountered in Colorado.
There are a few lower priced scopes that I would recommend to adjust the turrets if you were to go that route.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.