Nosler Accubond longrange

Ccctennis

I am going on an elk hunt in October in Colorado. I have been doing OCW tests with my 6.5-284 savage. The best most accurate bullet so far has been:
142 grain accubond long range
2nd most accurate was hornday eld-x in 143 grain.

Anyone have real elk experience with either of these two bullets?

I am .5 MOA with nosler. And .75 moa with hornday

Should be shooting under 400 yards on this hunt.

I shot 2 elk and 1 mulie with 175gr ABLR out of my 7RM from 200-365 yds. The did there job. But if I was shooting inside of 500 yds I would probably go with the standard Accubonds.

I shot two whitetails last year with the 150gr .270 lr accubonds last year, 1 at 80yds and the other at 320yds the one dropped the other ran 30yds and did a death flip. Both did their job well.

I've killed 2 elk with the 168 ABLR out of a 280AI both one shot kills, I recovered one it weighed 75grains and came from a 200 yard shot.

I ran the 142 NABLR in my 264 WM. 3250 fps and sub-.4" groups. I took my elk at a whopping 137 yards. First round through the back end of the shoulders below the spine. Dropped him in his tracks. He managed to get back up but could only stand there so I ran another one in. He was facing away and gave me a slight angle at the back of the ribs. So, of course, I hit a twig and entered the hip. Through the pelvic bone, traveled the length of his body and stopped in the bone on the off shoulder. No further shots needed.
The second shot left a 1" hole completely through the liver and lung and broke a rib on the way out. This AFTER it went through the pelvis. The remaining bullet weighed 60 gr.
With that kind of penetration, velocity and accuracy, I've settled on my load for elk.

I agree with kstitz, 500 yards or less I would be using the regular Accubonds, assuming they shoot well in your rifle. I never could get the ABLR (150 & 168) to shoot consistently through my 7 mm mag, but the regular AB shoot great and are very reliable on game.

I have a 7 STW and found a great load with the 150gr ABLR. Off the top of my head, it ran in the high 3100's fps, and was about 0.3 moa. I had to seat it a little longer than my regular 160 gr Accubond load, and settled on a COAL of 3.650". H-1000 was the best powder and the load is 81.8 gr.

I have a 7 STW and found a great load with the 150gr ABLR. Off the top of my head, it ran in the high 3100's fps, and was about 0.3 moa. I had to seat it a little longer than my regular 160 gr Accubond load, and settled on a COAL of 3.650". H-1000 was the best powder and the load is 81.8 gr.
I first tried 168 gr accubond long range with H-1000 and nothing was acceptable. Nothing under 1.25 MOA
Then I tried 180 berger vld with H-1000 and only shot 1.3 MOA. I will give regular accubond a try and your load of 150 grain. Thanks for input

I would think a 7 STW would send the 150s much faster than 3200 fps. I am getting just over 3100 fps in my 7 mm rem mag with the 160 AB and IMR 7828 through a 26" barrel. Anyway, the regular AB bullets seem to be fairly easy to work up an accurate load with.

How much powder are you using?

My load for my rifle uses 66.5 grains of IMR 7828. This is above the publish maximum loads in manuals. I started towards the low end, based on the manuals, and continued working up. I started getting signs of excessive pressure at about 67 grains. This load maintains accuracy better than .5 moa out to 700 yards as long as conditions are good and I don't sling one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.