No love for "soft-shell" jackets?

Litehiker

My ski patrol parka had a zip-in soft-shell jacket as a liner. It did not give much warmth compared to my 300 weight PolarTec fleece jacket, was not good at shedding wet snow moisture when worn alone and weighed too much for the little warmth it gave.

So why the popularity of soft shell garments? I just don't get it, especially for weight-conscious backpackers.

Maybe there is a soft-shell out there that sheds water better and is warmer but I doubt if it is that much better than mine.

Or am I an old curmudgeon who just likes his hardshell GTX and eVent parkas over different layers depending on the temps and can't change with fashion?

Eric B.

Eric. There are soft shells made with thinsulate or like like that are waterproof and wind proof. They provide some warmth protection but it's mostly about layers.

Soft shell garments are good for activities where you are in a constant state of moderate activity.

Ideal conditions for a soft shell are moving along ridgelines in the mountains in windy conditions. At times like these, you don't really want heavy insulation because your movement helps to keep you warm, but you do want some protection from wind, snow, and light rain. Softshells tend to be quite abrasion and tear resistant too, so they're good for climbing over rocks and the like.

My personal experience with regard to hunting is that I like softshell pants pretty much all the time, but only tend to bring a softshell jacket every now and then. For stop and go hunting, it seems that when I'm moving with a pack on, a soft shell is generally too warm, but when I'm sitting still and glassing, I'd rather have a warm puffy jacket.

This season, I'm trying a new hybrid soft shell, the Blur jacket by Voormi. We'll see if it ends up with a place in my clothing system.

I think I agree with Snake's take on soft shell pants. They would likely be good unless you were in a steady rain. I'm now looking for a pair on that advice.

My current winter pants are Duluth Trading "Dry-on-the-Fly" nylon pants with full polyester fleece lining. Great for most conditions but can be a bit warm for travelling in conditions above 32 F.

My eVent parka is a bit less wind resistant than my GTX PacLite parka but as a result more breathable. Both are the same weight at 15 oz, size Large.

Eric B.

I used the Sitka mountain pants last year and like them alot. Didn't get rained on, but they were good for wind resistence and not too hot. Be careful with those as where I was hunting there were briars and grabby things. I now have tiny holes in the seat and in the legs. Kind of disappointing, but I walked through it.

This year I am going to try the contrail windshirt as a "packable" softshell for wind resistence and use a puffy under it.

For the weight and function I don't think the softshell is worth it because no point carrying it if it won't keep you dry.

Now if heading out from the truck to a treestand, they are fine.

Years ago Under Armour made a soft shell called the Dericho fleece. I have the top and bottoms. They are waterproof but no hood. Go figure. I guess that's why they no longer make them. Still great for the whitetail tree stands.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.