New to me Tikka T3 .223 and 70 grain RDF BULLETS

Pharmseller

A guy on another board needed to fund another project so I bought what he was selling, a stainless T3 in .223. The cool thing is it's a 1-8" twist, which IIRC Tikka doesn't offer anymore. Heck, you can't find a new T3 anyway. I won't tell you what I paid but I stole it.

I sent the bolt off to get fluted and it took forever. In the meanwhile I discovered Nosler's new Reduced Drag Factor line of bullets and bought a few 70 grain in .223. Their reported BC is .416, which is really slippery for such a small bullet. The guys at Nosler directed me to use the 69 grain 5.56 load data so I loaded a bunch with 24.5 grains of TAC and tried 3 different OALs.

IMG_0089_zpsjvqavfmn.jpg

I hit the range yesterday and took the .223 with me to shoot while the barrel cooled on the 7 Rem Mag.

I had replaced the VX2 3-9 CDS with an FX3 12x40 AO with target turrets. I used some 50 grain TTSX to get on paper at 50 yards and the bullets overlapped. I moved to 100 and shot the 50s again to confirm.

First up was the longest of the three 70 grain loads. They shot okay, around .75", but I wasn't impressed. Then I tried the middle load, at 2.260".

Holy Hannah, the clouds parted and the angels sang. Remember, I bought this thing used for a song.

IMG_0295_zps9btuglpm.jpg

That's three shots into 0.103". I think I'll keep it. Now I need to chronograph the load, I'm hoping for 2850. No varmint alive will be safe from me.

P

I bought 1000 of them to shoot steel out to 700 yards in my trainer. 700 May be pushing them but 500-600 will be do-able.

I chronographed four loads this afternoon, high of 2916, low 2893 (ES 23), average 2905. Better than I expected. Nosler's test barrel was a 1-7" 20" so I figured for a 22" add about 65 fps. Not far off.

P

That is one small 3 shot group for sure, well done. I was looking for some info on theses bullets. I picked up an ar 15 20" fluted brl with a 1:8 twist as well. Will be checking out some loads asap. Thanks for the thread, good shooting.

VERY Nice !
Is that a 24 "or 26" Barrel ?
I just may have to try the RDFs...
Ok a 22"
'

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.