NEVER should've done it

Buy a choke for the Beretta Mobile choke system, same external dimensions as the Benelli, different bore/constriction diameter. The Tristar uses the barrel bore diameter of the Beretta, in the samples I have personally checked, 12ga and 20ga, there is up to .006" difference in barrel bore diameter, the Benelli being smaller.

Carlson and Trulock have a Tristar specific series of chokes for this reason. Look at the last 3 numbers of the choke constriction on their site, that is the bore diameter.

Personally, I would not order a choke until you test the extended choke that comes with the Viper, they are very well designed and thought out and work really well with TSS. I am currently using the factory sporting clays choke with TSS for ducks and geese, it is only .003" constriction over the bore. I had 2 duplicates made in black nitrided stainless, hopefully they will be here soon so I can test them out before season.

Well found a online deal from a well established reputable online seller to good to pass up on a pistol grip Tristar Viper G2 pistol grip 20ga turkey gun. Calling first thing tomorrow to confirm its the PG model as it lists it as a PG model but has no picture. If yes will buy it. Once that is done buying one box of Apex 20ga #8 shot and one Foxtrot #8 shot and a Carlsons 0.568" WLBXR benelli mobile choke tube as my research showed that choke worked superbly well with #8 shot out of the 20ga Viper G2 turkey gun.
Plan on topping it with a Bushnell 30mm tube 1-4x24mm Elite 4500 scope.
Yep turned out to be the gun I wanted so I ordered it. Price was cheaper TMD then anywhere else BEFORE tax.
Going to order a Carlson's .568" WLBXR choke as I've seen many posts reporting it works great with 20ga 3" #8 TSS shells. Already have a 30mm tube Bushnell Elite 4500 1-4x24 scope and Warne Horiz/split rings and Butler Creek F-U scope caps. Going to order 1 box each of #8 TSS from Foxtrot and Apex see which it likes best.
Will post my patterns when I shoot them. I use 3'x3' pieces of construction floor paper floor runner as my pattern targets with a 10" circle dead center use a Birchwood casey 3" stik-on as my target and representation of a Toms head.

Last edited:
Buy a choke for the Beretta Mobile choke system, same external dimensions as the Benelli, different bore/constriction diameter. The Tristar uses the barrel bore diameter of the Beretta, in the samples I have personally checked, 12ga and 20ga, there is up to .006" difference in barrel bore diameter, the Benelli being smaller.

Carlson and Trulock have a Tristar specific series of chokes for this reason. Look at the last 3 numbers of the choke constriction on their site, that is the bore diameter.

Personally, I would not order a choke until you test the extended choke that comes with the Viper, they are very well designed and thought out and work really well with TSS. I am currently using the factory sporting clays choke with TSS for ducks and geese, it is only .003" constriction over the bore. I had 2 duplicates made in black nitrided stainless, hopefully they will be here soon so I can test them out before season.
Thanks for the info and advice. Will hold off on the choke purchase for now.

Anyone bit into a TSS pellet? Pulled a few #9's and a#7 out of a turkey a few days ago. They look like tiny ball bearings and are still perfectly round and shiny. Obviously very hard which might be one reason they group so well and are so devastating, no deformity!
What would they do to you if you swallowed some?

I'd rather swallow TSS than bite into a pellet as they are non-toxic. I know some of the waterfowlers are using the small hand held metal detectors from Amazon to find pellets while cleaning. I was amazed how well the #9 TSS completely penetrated some of the pheasants that I shot last fall. The small size and smooth surface also means they don't draw as many feathers into the bird which also contributes to better penetration. The pellet hardness also helps break bones.

I'd rather swallow TSS than bite into a pellet as they are non-toxic. I know some of the waterfowlers are using the small hand held metal detectors from Amazon to find pellets while cleaning. I was amazed how well the #9 TSS completely penetrated some of the pheasants that I shot last fall. The small size and smooth surface also means they don't draw as many feathers into the bird which also contributes to better penetration. The pellet hardness also helps break bones.
Yep I'm going to be investing in a hand held metal detector as teeth are some **** big $$$$ to replace. My hunting partner just shattered a tooth on a nut and it was way north of $2k to replace with a implant.
I also want start pheasant hunting again and plan on using #9 TSS shells for that.

Anyone got a link for a cheepo metal detector for tungsten?

Got a pellet in my Tom meat, got lucky it just grazed my tooth....I'd rather not crack a tooth--- the tss is expensive enough, dont need to add more cost to the hunt

Recent Posts