Needing to build an xp for off hand shooting.

JoelMoney

Any help would be appreciated.

I should let you know the peramiters the gun needs to work in first. I like to hunt deer how most people pheasant hunt. My shots are under 150 yards and I hunt in a Minnesota slug zone. I think I am an above average shooter. I have used everything from a compact Glock 9 mm to a 460 S&W to shoot deer on the move. I have 2 xp-100r that I use occasionally in morning and evening sits but I am looking for a handgun I can shoot off hand. My 44 redhawk with scope works but I do not like to blood trail deer. The 44 just doesn't seem to anchor them with chest hits. My first deer rifle I bought was a 35 Whelen I hunted in a rifle zone and was very happy to watch even chased deer fall. Very rarely did I have to track a deer. I would love to find a pistol that put deer down like that rifle. The 460 is close but is a little front heavy. This year I tried a 308 encore I liked it on the range or when I could use a shooting sticks but it just didn't handle the way I had hoped. I am thinking of a 15" barrel. I have not been able to find in writing how long of a barrel one can use in MN or overall length of gun. I want it to balence in my hand. I would like an ambidextrous stock. I like the McMillen but I like some of the laminates or any nice figured wood. Thinking this is a utility gun go synthetic. I am not sure what new actions can be registered as pistol actions. I am hoping to be able to purchase a new Remington action. I have not seen much about triggers. I know and understand there needs to be a linkage. Is a switch barrel rig a good idea? If the switch barrel idea is then why is not much said about the target Savage action? I think the reason for short actions is that is what the triggers are made for an for overall length considerations.

I had one of my xp's rebarreled to 243 Win and that is all the custom gunsmithing I have had done. I this feels like a whole new world I will be stepping into. Know what I want in theory. Just not sure how to get there.

Thanks everyone for the information in past posts I was able to get quite a bit of information from them.

McMillan makes a great xp-100 stock. It can handle quite large barrels if you want it to. A center grip xp-100 will balance much better than an xp-100r while shooting offhand. Used xp-100's are out there but the price seems to be going up over the last few years. If you buy a new action you can have turn it into a pistol. If it was ever a rifle then you can't without doing paperwork for a SBR. Nesika make an NXP which I believe is an xp100 clone. Dell Taylor and Dewey make aftermarket triggers or you could look for a factory take off. Almost all of my xp100's are switch barrels.

I have a 35WSM xp-100 that pretty much duplicates my 35whelen AI rifle. It sports a 14" lilja barrel and a muscle brake. 225gr Accubonds at 2700fps. Hammers critters.

Aaron

Thanks much Aaron. I was thinking of a McMillan stock. I have been see sawing on Remington footprint or Savage action. I am leaning toward Remington due to center grip stocks being inleted. I think a new action makes more sense than buying an existing just to have it blueprinted. I saw somewhere Mr Bishop liked the Bell Taylor trigger. My only concern would be if it has a safety. I will look into the switch barrel idea a little more. The idea of having an extra barrel in a cheaper cartridge to practice with I might be more inclined to shoot more. I have a 30 Harret and 35 Harret. I just never shot them as much as my standard calibers. I think this was true due to burning all the ammo then the next week I want to shoot and no ammo so I'd buy ammo for one of my other guns. The The 35 WSM loooks to be the ballistics I wanted. My state defines a pistol as "designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26", or having barrels less 16" rifled barrels ".

Ernie does like the Dell triggers. They are pretty sweet but do not have a safety. Remington short actions are not the same footprint as an xp. Don't think they make xp's anymore either.

And now I'm going to mess with you.

Are you right handed?

You're going to shoot offhand, so that leans heavily towards center grip.

Do you like the ability for a follow up shot? Say 2 + 1 in the chamber?

Tired of paying gunsmiths extraordinary fees for stuff like barrel changes? Would you like to be able to order a new high quality barrel and just set your own headspace and go? Even change calibers from 223 to 300 WSM?

Maybe you should explore the world of Savage Strikers. RH, LB, barrel nut for ease of caliber change, uses a standard savage action, so bases and rings aren't a nightmare, comes with a synthetic (all weather) ambidextorous stock that is easily customized and painted, accepts screw in sling studs easily.

And no where near as expensive as an XP.

BUT, if you're interested, I have one available in 7-08 (good all around caliber) with iron sights in a custom right hand thumbhole curly maple stock right now.

JUST AN IDEA.

I think XP's are OK, but don't understand the mystique around them.

Larry
Tinkerer

Why do people keep praising the barrel nuts on a savage? You do know that you can get the exact same thing for remingtons too right? The only advantage a savage has for versatility is being able to swap the bolt face. I can see where a guy may want a magazine for a follow up shot but I don't think having the mag is worth moving the barreled action several inches higher. Savage striker stocks feel like clubs in comparison to an xp. And then you look at the triggers for both. There really is no comparison. Savage triggers flat out suck. Creep, over travel, rough, and heavy are all good descriptors of every striker trigger I've felt. Can't say that about xp triggers. I'd gladly have a bone stock xp trigger over anything I've seen on a striker.

Aaron

Larry thank you for bringing up the Stryker it is a platform I have strongly looked at for this build. I am left handed not a lot of difference in accuracy between hands. I do have a little better trigger control with my left. 25-50% of my target practice is done right handed. When a shot presents its self I end up using the most comfortable hand to shoot with. Manny times after the shot I will not even know if is shot left or right handed. I understand a Remington can be set up with a barrel nut also. Aaron thanks for the info on aftermarket triggers. When first pondering this build 6-8 years ago I was dead set going Savage. Kenny Jerret once said " only accurate rifles are interesting". I know my off hand shooting is not 1 MOA but it gives confidence when the gun can. Another aspect I had never even thought of was bore axis. The reason the Savage got ruled out was me not having faith in it for a well supported shot at longer range. Honestly I have shot single shots enough now it is nearly second nature to grab a round from the wrist strap. What accuracy can a person expect from a DIY Savage Stryker caliber change?

This is the exact reason I like web sites like this. I no longer have any gun shops that I frequent that have good people to be sounding boards. Nobody to tell me I'm nuts or it might be easier if you do it this way. Certainly no people that have experience in shooting long range with a pistol. Thanks much for the different views.

OK, left handed so right bolt makes most sense for you.

Seems lately prices for XP's are a little high to me. Maybe an undesignated action or a custom one and build your own. Of course, I'm going to suggest a remage barrel for ease of do it yourself. I like McGowen and they have deals on pistol barrels up to 17". Might want to get a brake installed as well. Radial is fine for field work.

Internal mags are nice, but with a round in your hand, reloading can be quite fast.

Although there are several alloy chassis systems available, I still like wood. Joe Russo has the best in my opinion.

Good luck on build, pics mandatory.

Larry
Tinkerer

I think an undesignated Defiance action will come in close to the same price as a used XP after being blueprinted. I was looking at a a McMillan stock and after market trigger. I do have to ask what a "remange" barrel is? I don't think the gunsmith will get the green light till April some time and yes you will be seeing pictures. Since I am thinking more along the lines of a switch barrel set up any recommendations on a mild economical cartridge for lots of practice? I was thinking a fast twist 223Rem but I'm sure I'll hear some other good ideas.

Remage is what people are calling using a savage style barrel nut on a remington. In theory you can swap your barrels as easy as you could a savage. I prefer to have a traditional shouldered barrel on my guns, even the savages I've built.

A 223, 222, or 221 would be great for practice.

Aaron

Go with the center-grip design and then be patient and try different stocks and see how the feel in your hand.
Would you be using a mon-pod or shooting stick when shooting or just free hand.
The distance is not the issue for your cartridge options but a balance issue.
Get your XP action and then just get some steel rod the length you will use and figure out what length and weight will work best for you.

So I did some reading on "Remage". I think I understand the process. I do like the idea of shooting same the same gun on targets as the one I'm hunting with. Now just need to look a little deeper into what muzzle break and extended eye relief scope will go on this set up.

I normally carry a walking stick or monopod when I am walking stuff not to thick. If I am one of the posters on the drive I would most likely be setting up with a tripod shooting system. It looks like bog-pod has a set up I could use for this purpose. Thanks for the idea of a mock-up gun for balance.

I would like to thank Larry, Aaron and Ernie for bringing up ideas that are going this build even better.

Well that looks like what I was thinking of when posting. Ernie can that rest pan left to right to track running game? Thank goodness it's flat where I hunt. I think all vertical adjustment should be doable with rear bag squeeze.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts