Need Jacket advise

Adikted

I'm going on a Montana Elk hunt this fall, with a friend of a friend, in the second week of November. He's told me that the Camp is around 6,000 ft and that you could wind up as high as 8,000 ft in that area. He's said that the temps at the extreme lows can be down to -20.

I've got a fair collection of base and intermediate layers and a decent bib but I have nothing in the way of a good Jacket.

I had my mind set on the Cabelas 10 in 1 parka mostly because they were clearance priced and because I'm fond of Goretex. They are sold out in my size along with the whitetail extreme coats.

Now I'm looking at the First Lite Sanctuary Jacket and the Sitka Blizzard Parka.

I like that the Sitka uses a Goretex shell but $699 is tough to swallow especially when the First Lite is $400 and the company is as well regarded as it is.

Since these temps are WAY below my experience I have no idea how critical the water repellency is? (I'm certain breathability is crucial)

Can any of you who have the First Lite Sanctuary Jacket register an opinion on it's wet weather performance?

Is it worth the extra money (nearly double the price) to get a Parka with a Goretex shell?

What other brands/models should I be looking at?

I'll buy once / cry once if its worth it but I'd like to get years of service if i'm gonna drop more than $300.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks, Nate

I think you're on the right path with the coats you're looking at. I would agree that the Sitka is not likely worth that much more. Have you considered the Cabela's Berber fleece or their Wooltimate line? I've worn a Berber fleece pullover in -2 to -10 with 20 mph wind and been comfortable. Critical point in whatever you get is to make sure it is windproof in some respect.

What you need is a Gore-Tex shell parka so you can layer under it. That means one size larger than normal to leave room for the insulating layers.

Essentially, at 8,000+ ft. your are doing a form of mountaineering and mountaineers wear shells so they can vary the insulation under the shell as needed. Maybe you want just an insulating vest or maybe both the vest and insulating jacket, depending on the weather.

I have an LL Bean camo GTX shell in X Large, Long and it does the job very well, along with Cabela's camo GTX pants. Both have the soft, brushed outer shell that is quiet but tough and brush resistant.

Try to avoid parkas with built-in insulation as they are not versatile and do not easily accommodate layering beneath them.

And do not buy just a jacket but get a hooded parka for nasty weather.

Eric B.

Very good advise from Litehiker above.

Also you don't have to be a camo jacket.... IMO you get more for your money with proven mountain wear like Northface. Also, the Northface shell has a removable hood. They're nice because permanent hoods get snow, rain, leaves, twigs, you name it in them.

Check this jacket out:
https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-mountain-light-triclimate-jacket-clb0

What you need is a Gore-Tex shell parka so you can layer under it. That means one size larger than normal to leave room for the insulating layers.

Essentially, at 8,000+ ft. your are doing a form of mountaineering and mountaineers wear shells so they can vary the insulation under the shell as needed. Maybe you want just an insulating vest or maybe both the vest and insulating jacket, depending on the weather.

I have an LL Bean camo GTX shell in X Large, Long and it does the job very well, along with Cabela's camo GTX pants. Both have the soft, brushed outer shell that is quiet but tough and brush resistant.

Try to avoid parkas with built-in insulation as they are not versatile and do not easily accommodate layering beneath them.

And do not buy just a jacket but get a hooded parka for nasty weather.

Eric B.

Good info thanks,

One of the reasons I liked the cabelas Parka is because the liner was removable. I've already got a hooded underarmour barrier jacket and a non hooded softer shell along with base layers. From what I'm being told we can drive to the camp so I'm more worried about making sure I can weather any condition than I am about carrying too much gear. What I'm looking for with the Parka is something for the absolute worst case scenario. I'm planning to do a lot more of these trips so if I don't get to use it this year I'm sure it will come in handy in years to come.

The guy we're going out with does high elevation and swift water rescue in the area, he basically told me when the weather gets bad you'll never say you've got too much on. Seeing as how I live in South Carolina I figure I'll need all the help I can get.

Adikted,

The Cabela's parka with removable liner is excellent.

As Barrelnut said an open hood will catch the weather so it's better if the hood can be stowed so it does not catch rain or snow if you are not using it.

Many parkas have a strap that holds a rolled up hood in place as a collar. If not you can make the strap from Velcro with the opposite Velcro piece sewn into the base of the hood. Be sure to seam seal all stitching for waterproofness.

Eric B.

Adikted,

The Cabela's parka with removable liner is excellent.

As Barrelnut said an open hood will catch the weather so it's better if the hood can be stowed so it does not catch rain or snow if you are not using it.

Many parkas have a strap that holds a rolled up hood in place as a collar. If not you can make the strap from Velcro with the opposite Velcro piece sewn into the base of the hood. Be sure to seam seal all stitching for waterproofness.

Eric B.

I've been looking at the LL Bean gtx, I like that it accepts zip in liners is this the same coat that you were mentioning?

https://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc=98-507932-506569&skCatId=88201#88201

It sounds as though you've been through a ton of coats any other suggestions?

Like others have mentioned, the outer shell is just one of the three components (wicking, warming, weather). This method is very versatile and adaptable to many environments, much like the military 7-level Protective Combat Uniform (PCU). I like to keep my outer shell simple as it takes the brunt of the abrasion and wear. Simple and no-frills equal less expensive, especially when they are replaced every season or two. Gortex shells such as the Outdoor Research Foray in Coyote and the Marmot Minimalist in Deep Olive or Cinder are great examples.

I'll spend a small fortune on base layers and marino wool, but they tend to last a lot longer.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-foray-jacket-32502.html

Minimalist Jacket

Thanks for the advice, I got the Llbean Goretex shell in a couple of days ago. It seems pretty sturdy, but it's definitely just a shell. I was considering buying the liner jacket which is permaloft and no where near as heavy as the other options that I posted originally. Do you think the permaloft is worth while or should I be shopping for a wool intermediate layer or both?

I'm a big fan of both. In my experience, a good, light Primaloft jacket like the Arcteryx Atom LT offers incredible warmth to weight ratio in a very compressible package. As far as marino wool goes, I appreciate the wide temperature range I can comfortably operate in. I find I can go from static cold mornings, ascend mid-morning, and descend in the afternoon, and static again late in the day without shedding layers. I usually only need to transition from wool beanie to ball cap and zip-unzip my top to regulate my temp.

Good examples from marino wool tops include the Ibex Shak Hoodoo hoodie and the Kuiu Ultra Marino 210 Hoodie.

I tend to pick tops with hoods because I always have access to a warming cap (which is really nice if you wear a helmet for a living) and when I don't need them, I can either roll them up as a collar or fold them inside my collar so they don't gather precip or debris.

Speaking from both a hunting and Nordic ski patrolling background I can say that for safety reasons you need a GTX or eVent shell parka. It's pretty much windproof and waterproof but still very breathable and protects you from getting hypothermia in cold rainy weather from, say, 35 F. to 50 F.

Look at Midway's eVent stuff. Usually eVent is pricier than regular Gore-Tex (but the same as GTX Pro-Shell) but Midway's eVent clothing is amazingly "low", relative to regular eVent prices. eVent does not need to get wet inside to transmit body vapor like regular Gore-Tex does so it's more breathable and breathes "right away" when you put it on.

BTW, f you decide on down for your insulation try to get down with a DWR (Durable Water Repellant) treatment like Down Tech or Dri-Down. DWR treated down absorbs about 25% less moisture and dries 60% faster than untreated down.

Eric B.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I took a quick climb to the summit of Mount Whitney (14,505') to scatter some ashes on the summit. I summitted about 9pm and spent an hour on top with temps in the high teens, all my water inside my pack was frozen. I wore a Sitka Kelvin Down Hoody with only a lightweight long sleeve sun shirt underneath and was warm. Had I sat around for an extended period as one would if hunting in a blind I may have gotten cold. I have plenty of other down jackets for mountaineering but I prefer this one for a few reasons one being the pockets are big enough to fit my hands in with gloves on, and the hood fits good and doesn't block my vision or keep falling off. The wind was 20mph+ on the summit and if I didn't have a place to shelter I would have probably had to put my shell on, which for this trip I packed a very lightweight Cabela's set. Water and wind proof but very lightweight, not very resistant to abrasion but that wasn't a concern so much as weight. If it's really cold you don't have to worry about rain, just snow. Staying dry is key to staying warm. Down is the warmest, lightest weight, and packs the smallest but if it gets wet it is useless so decide if you want down or a synthetic. There are lots of good options.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&_udhi=400&_nkw=sitka kelvin down hoody&rt=nc

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...acket-with-MOST-DRY-PLUS/1618370.uts?slotId=1

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.