need input on honrady 165gr sst's

I'm beginning to think after reading your comments that the SSTs gave you good results because they were loaded down to a slower FPS than most would be using in those calibers. It seems like people are saying they are getting good results at longer distances with them and that, I think, is because they have slowed to a speed where they will penetrate better, rather than blowing up at faster speeds on closer shots, especially if they hit bone. I'd like to here other's thoughts on that possibility, as maybe that is the key on this particular bullet. PS: That's a very purty lady ya got there for a hunting partner!!!

I'm beginning to think after reading your comments that the SSTs gave you good results because they were loaded down to a slower FPS than most would be using in those calibers. It seems like people are saying they are getting good results at longer distances with them and that, I think, is because they have slowed to a speed where they will penetrate better, rather than blowing up at faster speeds on closer shots, especially if they hit bone. I'd like to here other's thoughts on that possibility, as maybe that is the key on this particular bullet. PS: That's a very purty lady ya got there for a hunting partner!!!

I have used the "light magnum" Hornady loads (before they had superformance they offered light magnum) and the results were the same.

Like I said 90yds was closest. never seen one "blow up"

Maybe guys are confusing the V-max, which also has a red balistic tip with the SST I don't know.

I have never seen one "blow up"....

If you look at a cross section of the SST and Interbond the copper jacket thickness is identical, only difference is the cannalure.....otherwise the jacket is the same thickness...

Use whatever you desire. I'm sticking with SST's

And I hope you never see one blow up on any animal because it's not pretty!!! Glad you're satisfied with them and that's exactly why I'm staying with the Hornady BTSPs in three different calibers because I'm sold on them just the way you are on the SSTs. I guess that's what makes the world go around as they say, LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.