Need a new Semi Auto shotgun!

I've used a Benelli sbe2 that I never was very fond of its feel or reliability. traded it in on a New 3.5 inch browning a5 and that thing was riddled with problems, couldn't cycle 3 or 3.5 inch loads at all, sent back to browning 3 times and on the 3rd time they admitted they had ejection problems due to the extractor claw being cut too shallow, they replaced it with a maxus In ATACS camo, 26 inch barrel, I've got over a case of ammo through it in the past 6 months and haven't had a hiccup of any kind. Patterns excellent and looks good too. IMO you can't be a browning gas gun, their older golds are flawless too. I know some people love inertia guns but I stear clear of inertia after the browning and benelli.

I would stay away from browning. I love my older A5s but I've had poor luck with the new ones. I had a Maxxus and it stayed at browning longer than I had it in the three years I owned it. My hunting partner has a new A5 and he had to send his back because the barrel was bent. Another buddy has a maxxus and his has been back twice. I personally shoot a SBE for ducks and love it. I like the berettas as well. Can't go wrong imo with either of those.

l have used all the top brand shotguns ( beratta-benelli... ). but have fond the perfect shotgun. browning fusion evolve. l love it.

Hey Matt....I didn't see where you might be stuck on a 12 gauge....I like a lot of these guys have shot several shotguns...
But I came to a point where I needed something else...having gotten married and having an 8 year old son I broke my 12 gauge affair and went to 28 gauge.....my handicapped wife shoots semiauto and son and I shoot o/u....a lot of people on 28 gauge society have results shooting geese, ducks and turkeys where legal..let alone the upland birds including wild pheasants....
I also reload for the 28 gauge...and find that it can be as lethal as you want it to be...10 pieces of .250 caliber buckshot at 1500fps in a pie plate at 30 yards....and my son and I busting clays off the electronic thrower at 50 yards(lazered)....and these shotguns I purchased haven't had a problem yet....I have reloaded a few thousand rounds..saved a lot of money....as a matter of fact probably saved enough to pay for at least 2 of the guns...
Now a lot of people say TriStars aren't,worth the money...I bought a 28 silver pigeon...just couldn't quantify the expense...looked to nice to use it...and all of these get used....the o/u weighs 4.8# and semi weighs 5.4#....with limbsaver pads..you don't feel a kick at all...
ballisticproducts has lots load information...derived a few of my own from some of theirs....
I plan on making some loads for ducks next year with the ITX materials....and that same load will blast pheasants from the sky...

Last edited:
I have been looking around the past couple weeks for a new auto loading shotgun and have come across a few that catch my eye. The Browning Maxus is one, the Bretta Extreme II is another and my favorite so far is the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. This will be my first auto loading shotgun and would love some advice.

I chose the Beretta Extrema because of the ability to shoot any 12 gauge shell from the 7/8 oz 2 3/4 to the 2 1/4 oz turkey 3 1/2 '' barn burners, without changing anything (Springs, pistons, ETC)). I am traditionally an Over and Under lover, But for ruff/hard service (Ducks, geese, sand hills,
turkey, varmints like coyotes and even hogs and deer with buck shot), It will do it all.

The downside to it is its size, It is very large and long and for upland game, And I gravitate back to my O/U, even though it will handle all sizes an loads.

It has never failed and the ability to switch ammo in the blind with out problems with feeding is a big plus for me. (We duck and geese hunt at the same time and place) and depending on the weather, shots can be close to the outer limits of a shotgun.

Just my experience with the Extrema.

J E CUSTOM

"I steer clear of inertia", me too. I never liked the rebound effect. I do admit the new guns are much much better and pretty sweet. However, I have hung with Remington and still love 'em, 870, 1100's, and now the Versa Max. I bought the Versa Max and added an EO Tech. This set up is lots of fun to shoot and very deadly.

I'd recommend the versa max pro waterfowl model. I bought one 3-4 years ago and love it. I was using a Remington model 1100 before that but wanted the option for 3 1/2 shells for geese. I haven't had a single issue with the versa max and the long barrel tracks well on waterfowl.
I had a Benelli SBE 8-10 years ago and hated it. It would pattern several inches low and right. Customer service wouldn't help with the issue.

I would go with a Beretta AL391 Xtrema 2 or a SBE 2/3 if 3.4" matters. If not you can't go wrong with a M2. I have had the best luck with these as far as autoloading shotguns.

The Browning Maxus that I have had personal experience with have had a lot of problems. Three of the guys I hunt with had to send them back multiple times. One of which browning kept it longer than he had it in the two seasons. This could have been a fluke but when I went to purchase a 3.5 I ended up getting the SBE2. I have since purchased a Xtrema 2 as well and both are great guns.

It's funny how some threads never die.
I would go with a Beretta AL391 Xtrema 2 or a SBE 2/3 if 3.4" matters. If not you can't go wrong with a M2. I have had the best luck with these as far as autoloading shotguns.

The Browning Maxus that I have had personal experience with have had a lot of problems. Three of the guys I hunt with had to send them back multiple times. One of which browning kept it longer than he had it in the two seasons. This could have been a fluke but when I went to purchase a 3.5 I ended up getting the SBE2. I have since purchased a Xtrema 2 as well and both are great guns.

It's funny you have said this cause I've owned 2 maxus and my boss has one and they are some of the best shotguns I've ever handled or shot. My brother has a sx3 and sx4 and they are both incredible too. I've owned the super vinci and love it as well but sadly had to let her go

It's funny how some threads never die.

It's funny you have said this cause I've owned 2 maxus and my boss has one and they are some of the best shotguns I've ever handled or shot. My brother has a sx3 and sx4 and they are both incredible too. I've owned the super vinci and love it as well but sadly had to let her go

The maxus' shot great and by no means am I saying they're crap just my personal experience with them caused me to go elsewhere. If I had to pick one overall for the rest of my life I would pick my 90's 870 special purpose. It's never let me down since I was 13.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.