Necessary accuracy for Elk

What kind of accuracy do you recommend for Elk ?
Right now, 200 yards, I'm about the size of a dollar bill. I can't get it any tighter. The windage is actually pretty good. But the elevation changes is about 6".

I'm zoomed in 16x on the scope. This is from a bench, so I figured I'd be good with elevation.

The question is, how much accuracy do you need for elk ?

That's more vertical at 200 yards than I would accept. I'm curious as to: Do you reload, Details of rifle, details of ammo, details of rest you're using, how far do you plan on shooting at elk, and a where does your first shot land compared to point of aim.

A lot of good questions.

Factory Federal loads. I'm certainly not happy with it. Next time, I will use my rifle bench tray, rather than sand bags.

I will have to take note of the 1st round. I guess that is the most important.

Elk are hunted in a lot of different habitat. Some close range some at farther out. A general purpose rifle system in my mind should be able to reliably maintain groups of 3-4 inches at 200 yards. With the 4 inch groups being the exception, and 3 inches most of the time.

As this site is primarily LRH you will see much better accuracy being expected.

The rifles advertised at the top of the page guarantee half inch at 100 yards, you will see a fair amount of smiths from the site making similar guarantees. So for what we talk about here something more in the 1 inch at 200 yards is what we are looking for.

I'd still like to hear what you've got. Sometimes putting it out there for discussion helps you organize your thoughts if nothing else. The 3-4" at 200 yards isn't an unreasonable standard, something is off somewhere, and getting there may not require a lot of changes.

It's a Browning, synthetic, semi auto, short track. 7mm-08. about 4-5 years old. I tried 2 different scopes, so the scope is ruled out.

I'm comparing it to my Remington 750, semi auto, which is a tack driver, and much cheaper than the Browning.

It's a Browning, synthetic, semi auto, short track. 7mm-08. about 4-5 years old. I tried 2 different scopes, so the scope is ruled out.

I'm comparing it to my Remington 750, semi auto, which is a tack driver, and much cheaper than the Browning.

I know next to nothing about semi autos. Hopefully, someone with actual knowledge kicks in. Just for conversation I've seen a change in factory ammunition have good results. I'd try to take it apart and determine how it's bedded, contact where it should, and none where it's not. Good luck.

A friend had a BAR, but it wasn't synthetic, it was a wood stock. He had trouble with vertical strings too. Turned out he had the foreened bolt (screw?) too tight. From what I recall, there is only one foreend screw, and that has a certain torque requirement for accuracy. Check the owner's manual, or try an online search for the torque specs. After he torqued it to specs (Sorry, can't remember what the specs were), he got a better group without the vertical stringing of the shots. Good luck !!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts