My shooting year in the 2014 PRS

Jim See

LRH Sponsor
Well the Precision Rifle Series National Finale Match was last week-end in Frost Texas at the Rifle Ranch. 75 of the top shooters in the nation who qualified thru a season long points race were invited to shoot. This year my goal was to have a top 10 points race finish. That looked almost impossible coming into the Finale, as I was sitting in 20th slot nationally. Well I shot as well of a match as I had all year and finished in 5th place. That finish bumped me up to 11th nationally in series rank. Close but not quite.

The coarse of fire consisted of 2 days of engagements from 164 yard golf ball cold bore to 1100 yard steel plates. Shooting from standing to prone, off of; towers, rocks, culverts, roof-tops, and windows. The match format was a golf style t-time so day one had you at 7 different shooting stations shooting 14 stages, which amounted to 110 rounds fired in 65 minutes. yes you had to move fast and have your data pre-written, not touch your barrel after stage 3.:)

Higher ranked competitors started latter in the day under poorer conditions, my t-time was 11:55 am I was sitting in 8th place after day one. Sunday they reversed the order and I started at 8:25. I made up a little ground but fell 4 points short of an outright win.

My shooting year in 2014 saw me traveling to many matches;
2014 PRS National Series Rank, 11th.
2014 PRS Series Finale Match, Rifle Ranch, 5th place
2014 Cross C Match 18th place.
2014 NM Precision Riflemen's Challenge, 6th place.
2014 MRMBC at Rolling Hills Rifle Club, 1st place.
2014 K&M Precision, 14th place.
2014 Vortex Lone Star Challenge, 6th place.
2014 OPPS Shoot for the Green, 8th place.
2014 Bushnell Brawl, 21st place.
2014 PRS Team Finale Match, OPPS Oklahoma Team 1st place.
2014 PRS Team Finale Individual 1st place.

If your looking for a way to extend your shooting time and challenge you to improve, these type of matches are a great way to do it.
http://www.precisionrifleseries.com/shooters/standings/overall.html

events list preliminary for 2015 season;
http://www.precisionrifleseries.com/news-and-events.html

Attachments

• prs 2014.jpg
    prs 2014.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 185
Excellent job all the way around Jim! Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish out the year but will be seeing you at some of these events this next season, probably in a different capacity though. Best of luck this next year.

Geb

Congrats Jim! I'm 65 years old and just got interested in target shooting about 4 years ago when I retired. Shot my first comp, F-class, last summer and finished at bottom of top 1/3 against some record holders so I was very pleased; season at that range starts again soon. In March I shot my first long-range match at Bang Steel, 500-1000 yards prone with a time limit. In a word I sucked due to a number of factors, and as soon as I got back home I wrote a list of six items to correct and do differently the next time. Well at the second match in April I finished in the top 5, which was very rewarding to improve and experience success. Not nearly as extensive or demanding as you guys are doing, but it is a lot of fun to meet friendly, new guys with similar interests. So for all those who are on the fence to try something like this, don't wait as late as I did and go have some fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.