My Old Alaska Hunt Pictures

Speedo

I thought that I'd post a few pics from some of my past hunts. Here's one that I kind of like from '93, We were getting ready to head out and lined up some antlers with each of our rigs before we loaded up to head out. This picture is with my moose buggy.

Gus
1289458398_1993_barf_camp0090.jpg

Here's a pic from our '08 hunt, loaded up and on the way home. During a normal trip out from our hunting camp to the trailhead it takes us 2 days on this trip it took us 3 days on the trail to make it to the highway.

Gus
1255672485_2008_hunt_222.jpg

This one is from '98, we had just made it back to camp as daylight was fading and found a young griz about 75 yards from camp hanging around at the meat poles. When we made our way back into camp she started "walking" away, I ran up to the top of the ridge that our camp sits on and she had already turned and started back toward the meat poles again. By this time she was only about 25 yards away when I shot her.

Gus
1289584564_1998_clearence_lake_camp0002.jpg

From "06

This is a picture of our long time hunting partner and the 64" moose that he didn't want to shoot. Long story short, we had a much larger bull that we had seen over and over earlier in the season and just couldn't get a shot at him, this one showed up and we nearly walked right up on him so he took the sure thing and shot this nice bull. A couple days later we finally found the big bull after everyone had punched their tags, he started calling this one "Skunky".

He's gone now, lost a battle with cancer but we will always remember "Skunky"

Gus
1289611279_moose_hunt__06_134.jpg

A W E S O M E P I C T U R E S !!!
Very nice trophies, looks like one of those dreams we hunters have after a heavy meal.:)
Congrats for the success on those hunts. Keep marveling us with more photos.
Thanks for sharing.

There are many things about hunting in Alaska that are a bit different than most places. The manner in which we arrive at our destinations is a bit different from a lot of other hunting locations. It is common to use float planes, jet boats, air boats, atvs and utvs, tracked vehicles and many different types of off road vehicles.

My wife and I chose to build our own off road rigs commonly known as moose buggies, tundra buggies or swamp buggies. These buggies allow us to access hunting areas that could not be hunted by a lot of other methods. It takes us 2 days of travel, if we don't have any problems, to get to where our hunting camp is located. We stay out for 3 weeks or more at a time and we have to be self sufficient while we are out. We have encountered temperatures as cold as 0*, snow and mechanical problems. For the most part we practice spot and stalk hunting but we do a fair amount of calling later in the season as the rut progresses. The buggies allow us to retrieve animals once they are down and they also allow us to skin and gut a moose without having to do it on the ground.
We can also use them to skin a bear while it is hanging.

Here are a couple of pics of the buggies in action.

Gus
My wife's buggy.
1248984766_2007_hunt_297.jpg

My old buggy and an 8' griz.
1289640117_1994_hunt0011.jpg

Last edited:
Those buggies are way cool. I saw a picture of a Toyota Landcruiser from AK set up similarly. It was painted John Deere Green and had lugged tractor tires on it. Always wanted to build something similar.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.