My 6.5 Sherman rifle and load development thread

Korhil78

I just got my rifle delivered to my house today! I have to say that Rhian did an awesome job on the build. I closed my old thread on the rifle parts and making of the rifle and opened this thread to get good pictures of the rifle and to do load development and post the results so that others who are thinking of building a 6.5 Sherman or a 6.5 Sherman Short (6.5 SS) can see the potential of both of these cartridges. I won't have the dies for about a week and a half but that is ok because my elk hunt is next week. The load development probably won't start until 3 weeks from now but when it does start, it will be coming along at a good pace.

Last edited:
.....I just got my rifle delivered to my house today! I have to say that Rhian did an awesome job on the build. cartridges.....The load development probably won't start until 3 weeks from now but when it does start, it will be coming along at a good pace..............

Tagging in so I don't miss your return.

Just got the pictures set up the way I wanted them as my cellphone was doing something crazy with them.

Pictures of the rifle itself which ways 9.3 lbs bare.

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

A picture for comparison of the round. 25-06 with 115 gr berger on the left and 6.5 Sherman with 143 gr ELD-X on the right. The 143 gr ELD-X is seated to touch the rifling in the picture but for load development for hunting purposes, I will start the seating depth at .010 and go to .050 from the rifling.

IMG_2301.JPG

I will post a picture of it with the scope on tomorrow.

Boy, that is a sweet lookin' rifle Earnest! It will shoot like a 223 with that brake. I am still in Ut. so it is difficult to take care of everything until I get back to North Id. in a couple days. I will be moving in the new home next week. You are in luck though. I put some Sherman dies in the back of the car (for emergencies). I will ship them to you today.........Rich

Boy, that is a sweet lookin' rifle Earnest! It will shoot like a 223 with that brake. I am still in Ut. so it is difficult to take care of everything until I get back to North Id. in a couple days. I will be moving in the new home next week. You are in luck though. I put some Sherman dies in the back of the car (for emergencies). I will ship them to you today.........Rich

You just made my day!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.