modifying HS Sendero stock

grit

I have a Rem Sendero with the HS stock. Perhaps someone could explain the logic behind the fit and feel of this thing?? I find myself settling in behind it and repositioning my hand once or twice, finally shrugging, and placing my hand where it needs to be (far from where the grip is comfortable). By comparison, I have a Boyds thumbhole that feals like it grew on me.

I am considering modifying the stock. If I could pull the whole grip back a half inch, rotate it a bit more vertical, remove the wrong side of the ambidextous palm swell, add half an inch to the bottom of the grip, and cut a notch for my thumb up top it would be perfect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sooo, I have a couple questions.
First, if I remove material from this stock, does it look the same underneath? Just need to be sanded smooth again?

Next, I'm not sure how I will add material to this stock. I would like to extend the bottom of the grip half an inch or so. If I can remove material from the palm swell etcetra and simply sand it smooth again I will build a little cap and paint it appropriately. If not, I'm considering some form of epoxy and a complete remodel and refinish. What would I use for the epoxy? What would I use for the finish?

Finally, if this gets too involved or doesn't produce a nice fealing, nice looking product, what's a good replacement stock? I already know I like the Boyds.

pull it off and get the stock you like. you can sell that HS on here or Ebay for $200 I would venture to say...

And, I think you'd be happier. You must have the newer style Sendero ? The old ones had smaller swells and fit better....

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, I have the new one. A proper hold on the grip simply places my hand too high and too close. A replacement may be the way to go. However, I would not mind modifying the grip if it can be done nicely. I don't mind tinkering. I do like the rest of the stock.

I know. But, it's here, I'm here.... Just to clarify, I'm not really talking about doing all those things. Just what I think it would take to make it ideal. I'm only wanting to do enough to make it likable. I think removing a bit of material from the palm swell and adding a little cap for my pinky to rest on would be a huge improvement.

Further, I do like the rest of the stock. It looks good, is nice and ridgid, lightweight, two swivel studs...

Also the Boyds is a laminate. Will be heavier, will have to be opened up for the heavy barrel, will have to be fit, finished and bedded. Plus bought. Sooo, if modifying this stock is doable, I'd like to know. To make it simple, can I just remove material and sand smooth?? Surely somebody knows...

Thanks

The stock is a fiberglass shell. Inside is a pink foam (don't ask how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) The foam is to deaden ringing noises that happen from hollow stocks.

You can build it up with "Bondo" or some other goop, but when you want to remove part of the original stock, you will be real sorry you started - take the above advice - sell it and get something else.

I have the new Sendero stock and I love it!

Cat shooter is dead on if you go through the shell you won't be happy and unless you have worked with laying glass it will turn into alot of work and marginal results. On the other hand if you have put down some glass before it will just be alot of work. I find a stock mor eto my liking if it were me.

Shawn

Dear Grit,

Just go and buy another one.
I was in your situation 2 mo ago, with the same stock, and for me to modified this one, it took me 1 mo of molding, casting, trying different casting mat, and over all I payd more in casting mat then a new stock.
Finally my stock is done, modified and finished by me, but with hard working time.
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...part=8&vc=1
it is under 300rum, the one painted in camo.
I did the camo job, that one was very easy with lots of fun.

My advise.... GET A BRAND NEW STOCK.

Cris

Cris,
That stock looks great. An enormous improvement. I liked the look of the stock in the next picture. M1 I think he said. What other options did you look at?

Shawn, Catshooter, ...

Ok. So give me some options. I like this stock other than the shape/position of the grip. Is there another HS stock? It sounds like these types of stocks need to be made for the barreled action / bottom metal that's going in them. Meaning you can't just open up the barrel channel etcetra. Where to look?

My biggest concern is that this stock looks great. It's just too high and close to the trigger for my hand/liking. How will I know I'll like a stock until I drop the metal in and hold it in my little hands? Certainly don't want to try to sell several.

Brian, Thanks. I'll let you know.

I am a big HS fan myself, I believe that they make one for a 700 that hs the old Sendero style grip but the forend of the PSS you might check that out. You can open the barrel channel up no problem. Issues arise when you cut throught the shell and have to lay back into it again.

I called HS today. The stock I think I'd like the most is the tactical pst26. I would sure like to handle one before buying. Anybody know where I might? I didn't think to ask about turn around while on the phone. But, I've heard it's really bad right now. Anybody happen to know where I can find a stock like this ready to ship?

Any idea how quick you could get one?

I ordered the "new stock" from Joel Russo. Great customer service. Looking forward to seeing it in person....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.