Mil-Dots for ranging?

Do you range find with Mil-Dots when hunting?

• Total voters

MSU Marksman

I see that the majority of companies that make long range optics offer mil-dots on most of their models. I was wondering how many people here who own long range mil-dot optics, actually use them for range finding? Or do you still bring a laser range finder, and just figure the clicks accordingly?

I see that the majority of companies that make long range optics offer mil-dots on most of their models. I was wondering how many people here who own long range mil-dot optics, actually use them for range finding? Or do you still bring a laser range finder, and just figure the clicks accordingly?

Hi MSU Marksman,

I use MilDot for ranging up to 800yrds on big games. I love to use MilDot for ranging, especially when your Rangefinder is out of battery or is TO COLD to operate.
Usually I'm out with 20-30yards at 800yards, because the size of animals can vary from one to another.
When you are using this techniques you have to see how old is your target (young or old game), because the size is always different, and after that you have to apply the MilDot technique for ranging.
YOU NEED LOTS OF PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND PRACTICE...
I USED MILDOT FOR RANGING IN CONJUNCTION WITH MILDOT-MASTER

This is the kind of wording of a question that is terrible on a written exam. Yes, I use a MilDot for ranging while hunting and Yes, I use a laser Rangefinder for that. ;)

mill dots

I use the mill dots for shooting known distance out to
700 or 800yrds .

I use a range finder to verify the distance and beyond
7 or 800 yrds use the scope turret's to adjust zero's.

In the areas I hunt you may only have time to range
and shoot,but in wide open areas I would allways
prefer to adjust the scope.

If the game is running and over 300 yrds away then its a
moot point.( no shot ).

Using a mill dot reticle to range is marginal at best in my
opinion.

After zeroing the scope I verify the zero of each mill dots
yardage .

J E CUSTOM

Here's a link to a good discussion on reticle-rangefinding--

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/moa-reticles-23482/

If you're gonna use the mil-dot for ranging i'd suggest using it at the scope's highest power whether it's mil-calibrated there or not. Check the optics catalogs for the reticle subtensions at the highest power, and then adapt the mil-ranging formula for it. Reticle ranging is more accurate at the scope's highest power (and consequently finer reticle subtension) most of the time.

I believe as JE Custom said "Using a Mill Dot reticle is marginal at best in my opinion"

I look at it this way, I spend a lot of time and money on custom rifles and load development. All of my long range rigs shoot 1/2 MOA on a bad day and 1/3 MOA or better on a good day. All shoot sub MOA at 1K. In ideal conditions.

So why use Mills to range and as 300 rum said be off 20-30 yards at 800 yards? That is unexceptable in my book! In the non magnums I am shooting and even 300WSM that would ADD 1 MOA of error to the shot. And that IS NOT center to center that is a full 8" high or 8" low error at 800 depending if judged long or short. I just don't want to be off by that much from the start.

For sniper matches have at it. It should be great fun. Or for what they were intended a 8" or 20" low shot is still a good hit on an enemy.

I'll stick with my LRF.

Funny thing is, I've had the chance to hunt with many LR hunters. Some from this board that even say they use Mills. I have yet to see a shot taken without a LRF.

just my .02

I believe as JE Custom said "Using a Mill Dot reticle is marginal at best in my opinion"

I look at it this way, I spend a lot of time and money on custom rifles and load development. All of my long range rigs shoot 1/2 MOA on a bad day and 1/3 MOA or better on a good day. All shoot sub MOA at 1K. In ideal conditions.

So why use Mills to range and as 300 rum said be off 20-30 yards at 800 yards? That is unexceptable in my book! In the non magnums I am shooting and even 300WSM that would ADD 1 MOA of error to the shot. And that IS NOT center to center that is a full 8" high or 8" low error at 800 depending if judged long or short. I just don't want to be off by that much from the start. that would instantly turn my true 1/2 MOA rifle into a 1-1/2 MOA.

For sniper matches have at it. It should be great fun. Or for what they were intended a 8" or 20" low shot is still a good hit on an enemy.

I'll stick with my LRF.

Funny thing is, I've had the chance to hunt with many long range hunters. Some from this board that even say they use Mills. I have yet to see a shot taken without a LRF.

just my .02

I use mildots exclusively for ranging and using holdovers. Right now I can holdover up to 700 yrds comfortably. And for though's who say marginally at best well, have you tried it. To get good at it you have to practice. Now that I'm used to it I'm not even interested in LRF. With mildot ranging and holdovers I find it pretty fast.
Tools to help in trainning
Mildot Master
ShooterReady
And if your not in a rush another cool tool:
https://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dlrID=511&dept=53
IOR - Valdada Premium European Optics

Milling a live object over a couple hundred yards in the "real" world is at best less then optimal, and at worst downright useless.

I use a LRF but practice ranging with Mildots. I typically run a 25 yard error at 750 yards. For a flatter shooting cartridge 25 yards at 750 is minimal on a deer or goat size critter. I practice using mils because you never know when an electronic device will fail. It still may limit your range but will at least keep you in the game. With even a little practice, using mils is very effective.

Using the MP8 reticle from IOR with it's .5 mils helps in accuracy a lot compared to standard mil-dots.

mp8b.gif

ior_illum_mp8.jpg

A-5.jpg

Very precise with practice, and no batterries

Those numbers don't look right to me in the MP8 chart above.
Help me out:

21600 MINs/circle
6283.2 MILs/circle
21600/6283.2= 3.438 MOAs/MIL
An MOA=1.047"/100yds, so 3.438*1.047= 3.6"/MIL/100yds

1MIL= 3.438 MOA
1MIL= 3.6 inches @ 100yds

1/4MIL= (3.6/4)/100= .009"/Yd, or 3.438/4= .86 MOA

How do you get .837 MOA?
Maybe if MOAs were 0.9/0.837, or 1.075"..
How do you get .9"/yd?
That would be 90" at 100yds!

My precision must be off or something.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.