Meat care in the back counrty

I agree I never came across any garbage bags , lawn bags , recycle bags without some sort of fragrance...

I have used game bags solely but started looking at the Kuiu meat bags

I agree I never came across any garbage bags , lawn bags , recycle bags without some sort of fragrance...

I have used game bags solely but started looking at the Kuiu meat bags

I might try some of those meat bags too. Seems like a good way to go with boned out meat.

These are my favorite game bags, Game Bags - Meat Care Products - Caribou Gear Outdoor Equipment Company Hunting Gear I've gotten a lot of meat that hunters brought from Alaska and Canada in these and I've always been impressed with them, lots of little extra features. My buddy brought his AK moose down last year and it was fresh as a daisy after floating out a week then a week of driving, he also used their spray which definitely did it's job!

There are some light, tight weave, strong, fast drying game bags available. A few different manufacturers. Keeps the meat clean and free of fly eggs.
The plastic bags we line our backpacks with are clear, no odor, about 6mil poly. Tough enough I can often reuse them 2-3 times. I wash them out, check for leaks, and then decide whether to toss them out or dry and reuse.
They keep my pack bag, clothes, and gear blood free while packing sheep & caribou out of the mountains.
When they finally get punctured and leak, I toss them and begin with another new bag.
Usually head in with 3 bags. 1 for meat. 1 for clothing and other gear. 1 for hides/capes.
They're cheap enough to be considered disposable 1-time use. But tough enough that with some commonsense care, they can be used more than once.
I just Google searched and 6mil clear plastic bags are available.

My hunts require carrying the game out on my back. This is how I go about it.

Last edited:
My hunts require carrying the game out on my back. This is how I go about it.

This year I loaded my two cows with a JD tractor, it did take the tractor a few minutes to heat up though so it was rough:D Had to use my easy button for elk meat this year the last day.

Pretty sweet... But I'd need more than the JD tractor. :) 4wd ATVs don't cut it either.

Something along the lines of the Star Trek "transporter"! Shy of that, I'm left with the tried-and-true carry it on my back.

We have meat poles about 15' in the air and getting quarters as high as we can we still have griz getting into the meat. We hang the meat without any covering (game bags) because we've found that it keeps moisture next to the meat and causes spoilage. We have hung meat like this for more than 3 weeks, on occasion without problem. We will put game bags on the meat for transportation out of the field and that is for 2-3 days to get back home.

Gus
1466922748_mfdc1274.jpg

What are some those of you have used for keeping meat cool on early desert hunts? I bone out my animals and get them in game bags, but aside from getting them to the nearest cooler ASAP I really haven't heard any other good methods.

A couple of years back in Arizona on a Coues deer hunt I got the meat into the shade. it was a late in the day shot so night came quick got it back to the coolers but had some problems at the trail head with illegals which is another story in itself.

Has anyone used bear spray around their hanging meat to keep the bears away? Looking at this pic of meat with the Grizz bears gave me the idea of just squirting some around after getting things hung up or right on a rag hanging under the meat so if they stand up to get to the meat it's the first thing they sniff.

Kris

It's been reported that lighter concentrations of bear spray is an attractant. Seriously. So I would not do that.

I've seen video of bears rolling on the ground where bear spray was dispensed, similar to the way dogs occasionally like to roll in ****.

Has anyone used bear spray around their hanging meat to keep the bears away? Looking at this pic of meat with the Grizz bears gave me the idea of just squirting some around after getting things hung up or right on a rag hanging under the meat so if they stand up to get to the meat it's the first thing they sniff.

Kris

Bear spray is only a deterrent to bears when you spray them in the face. It doesn't work like bug spray...

This reminds me of a story I heard of a friend that watched a father in Yellowstone line up his wife and kids and douse them in bear spray as if he was spraying them with bug dope to keep the mosquitoes off them. That's not how it works....:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.