MARKSMANSHIP BASICS - Firearm Support

Wow - this thread has been going since '07!

No - I seldom support the buttstock with anything but my shoulder. Up front I might use a bipod or shooting sticks. More likely to just rest it on my pack, or a rolled up jacket, or believe it or not, just use the shooting sling wrapped snug around my arm. All have worked for me.

Depends on the time & natural rests available. Made a 400 yard shot in Wyoming, using a very handy tree limb, while standing. Worked great. My pard actually snapped a photo of me using the rest. I had just dropped the deer, and was waiting, ready to place another shot if necessary. It wasn't. The deer is just above that line of bright, bright morning sunshine and can't be seen:
IMG_2290.jpg

For ultimate accuracy, of course nothing beats a good solid rest. I just don't usually find a benchrest in the field. Odd...

Regards, Guy
Neither have I. In the Marines I was issued a "day pack" (glorified back pack) or what we called a "war bag" War bag being a reverence to an overnight bag you kept in your car in case one of the nice younge ladies of southern California decided to invite you over for the evening. We called them "war bags" because our SgtMaj would always end his safety briefs with "If you go to war this weekend wear your flak and kevlar" IE prophylactics.

Now that I am older and wiser and married the 'ol war bag gets used to hold my rifle data book, ammo and cold weather gear as well as camel back. My heavy sweater makes for and awesome field expedient rest for the back of my Mcmillan A5 stock and Harris bi-pod up front.

Doggone Jarheads do know a thing or two about shooting, and seem to do pretty well on weekend liberty as well. At least that was the case back in my day...

Semper Fi, Guy

Doggone Jarheads do know a thing or two about shooting, and seem to do pretty well on weekend liberty as well. At least that was the case back in my day...

Semper Fi, Guy
Semper Fi

We do know how to keep it in the black. recently though the army Marksmanship Unit has been doing some amazing things.

I am a member of a couple "sniper" forums, though i was a sniper myself the techniques and knowledge those guys have transfer very well to long range hunting. Lets face it sniping is the art of hunting human beings it isn't a stretch to adapt those techniques to hunting Elk in Northern Arizona.

Yes to by-poles too get things on track.

At times I go into pron, kneeling, no support sitting as I get my breathing, contacts the same, trigger, sight, target, shoot.

If I feel comfortable, I go into the full bore standing hip too stock grip as I know I'm at my most relaxed.

I'm trying too get a 3" too 4" free hand group.

When this works out, I'm ready too lay down tracks with the poles.

I find that if the package is in sink that day in the free hand, then I'll have better advantages in the day off the poles.

If something is not working out, I go back to the free hand, or call it a day.

If the mind is not on task, then its not worth the effort.
Words by former USA Olympic Archery coach Al Henderson.

Don from Western Canada

For long range hunting I always use a front and rear support. For prone, bipod front, small Triad bag rear. For upright/sitting shots, I pack an extendable shooting stick that serves as an auxiliary support depending on position.

Results of using my cross sticks from the sitting position. The 6" square is on the left. My 242 yard target is on the right.

Attachments

• F2B2F18E-681E-43EB-887E-EE89E7E4FEBB.jpeg
    F2B2F18E-681E-43EB-887E-EE89E7E4FEBB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 100
I use a harris bipod in front and a homemade bag for the rear. I shoot long range 300+yards on the bench right now and its highy recommended, expecially if you are testing new loads out, you want to be as stable as possible for good results.