Marks on bolt face

Black Tail Hunter

While disassembling my rifle I noticed some marks on the bolt face that I hadn't noticed before. Once I had a really bad primer pocket leak that put a divot in the bolt face, but now I notice more marks. What could be causing this and is it bad?

Attachments

• 20170717_204428.jpg
    20170717_204428.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 416
While disassembling my rifle I noticed some marks on the bolt face that I hadn't noticed before. Once I had a really bad primer pocket leak that put a divot in the bolt face, but now I notice more marks. What could be causing this and is it bad?

It is definitely gas erosion from primer leaks (Normally over pressure loads or loose primer pockets). In its self it is not bad other than looks,
But the fact that it is happening is bad and needs to be remedied.

Head space issues can also cause this but it is not a common cause.

J E CUSTOM

My rifle has a habit of loosening primer pockets, but I have only knowingly blown through 1 primer. I do "tighten up" the pockets to try and stretch brass life as it is expensive. Perhaps I have had some leak without realizing it, and without the proverbial smoke shooting out of the breech like when I perforated that one primer.

I guess the question is, do the marks on the bolt face hurt anything?

I was typing my response as you posted your reply JE, thanks for weighing in. I shoot a 7.82 Warbird and those have a reputation for being hard on primer pockets. I was unaware that I could have leaking primer pockets without the obvious side effects like smoke coming out of the breech. I haven't even noticed carbon around them when decapping or anything like that.

BT, perhaps new brass is in order. I've personally had primer pockets loosen quickly using Hornady brass. Assuming the Warbird brass is quite pricey. Possible you could have a smith look at the bolt condition to be safe. Good luck

From the looks of the picture, You have had about 3 pierced primers and several primer blow byes. Check all primers after firing. May want to try different primers.
I junked some primers one time for cutting the bolt on my 700 Classic 270 Win.
Good Luck and wear glasses to be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.