Marinating with Jack daniels

Has anyone ever marinated steak with Jack daniels how do you do it and did it turn out ok?

If you want to use a 80 proof spirit as a marinade, one way to do it is to "flash" off most of the alcohol before. Put the marinade together in a saucepan ( Jack, coke, garlic, black pepper, chili paste) for example, cook it on the stove top and use a gas match to flame the alcohol off after it simmers ( careful!), let it cool and then marinate. If you use it straight, reduce your marinade time as the alcohol portion affects the texture of the meat.

I have used Jack Daniel's for chicken and baked beans and steak, but actually like Jim Beam and others better to cook with, just my thought. I find that using garlic and a bit of soy sauce is the best with both chicken and steak, but seems leaving the marinate on no longer than about an hour per side is best.

Elk steak marinated in Persian lime infused olive oil, Jack Daniel's Tennessee honey liqueur whiskey, and other aromatic spices; brown rice, and sauteed mushrooms.

P2052120_zps33209ec8.jpg

P2052121_zps5e2c4842.jpg

P2052122_zpse8e6dcdb.jpg

Much like doc3855 discribed, I've used Jack Daniels and Jim Beam to marinate steaks. I too prefer Jim Beam as a marinade ingredient but I don't dilute it with anything other than lots of garlic. Biggest problem is leaving it in the marinade too long - the alcohol breaks down the meat fibers too much and the result can be kinda mushy. I like about 30 minutes of marinade or flashing off most of the alcohol and letting it marinate a couple of hours.
I first did it in hunting camp (circa 1965) in a cast iron skillet for dinner with our group of four. I seared the steaks in butter, added some rosemary and they scoffed when they saw the Jim Beam go in but when it came time to chow down they slopped up the gravy real fast.

flash in off is an excellent idea especially with full flavored meat.
i would use just a couple ounces to a quart of marinade and cook on Very high heat to caramelize the bourbon.
fat is where the flavor lives but it is very hard to get it into the meat at Bbq temps.
just a thought

I don't drink any more and every time I clean some where I find a bottle so I cook with it works good with sasage & peppers tenderloin rolls .. I ither inject of let marinade in pan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.