Made to measure composite stock?

Does anyone make made-to-measure composite stocks?
Been searching a bit around, and would be interested in cost of a lightweight made-to-measure stock. Think Hunters Edge, but custom LOP, cast off, cheek rest and foregrip.
With the amount of money you can put into a custom lightweight "long range" rifle, it's a bit weird that you buy the one thing where fit matters the most off the shelf.

I know you can make selections from a list, that's like choosing the extras on your car imho. Not something truly custom.

I have a Hunters Edge, i like it, but it doesn't really fit my hands, and a tad short.
I would like it to have a thicker grip moved a bit back, bit thicker up front and a tad higher comb. Today this gives me the option of hacking of the recoil pad and glue another on the old (Hunters edge recoil pad is glued on), adding a kydex or something more permanent for the cheekrest and then some sort of semi permanent moulding paste on the grip. Basically ruining the clean lines of the stock and adding much weight.

I know you can make selections from a list, that's like choosing the extras on your car imho. Not something truly custom.

Sorry, McMillan's custom LOP is the best I can do for you.
I knew a fellow in N. Dakota about fifty years ago who would make a custom made-to-measure stock for you but, in today's dollars, the cost would be about five grand.
He could fit a stock to a shooter like a tailor fitr a suit to a high roller. But I could never afford him.
Good luck ..............gun)

I have a Hunters Edge, i like it, but it doesn't really fit my hands, and a tad short.
I would like it to have a thicker grip moved a bit back, bit thicker up front and a tad higher comb. Today this gives me the option of hacking of the recoil pad and glue another on the old (Hunters edge recoil pad is glued on), adding a kydex or something more permanent for the cheekrest and then some sort of semi permanent moulding paste on the grip. Basically ruining the clean lines of the stock and adding much weight.

Have you considered the chassis stocks?

Yeah, I've thought about it, but they are too bulky for my taste when mountain hunting.
For more stationary I would not mind. The GRS Berserk is a good option in between, but had a classic hunting stock in mind.

There are several older stock makers in Norway that make them in wood or laminate, but few have ventured into composites.

I don't know how much he will customize, but I would suggest you talk to Joel Russo (russoriflestocks.com). I don't own one of his stocks but his work is gorgeous. I have a custom fit stock, but I made my own based on one of Mr. Russo's designs.

I know there are stock makers who custom fit shotgun stocks, so why not rifle stocks?

FWIW

I don't know how much he will customize, but I would suggest you talk to Joel Russo (russoriflestocks.com). I don't own one of his stocks but his work is gorgeous. I have a custom fit stock, but I made my own based on one of Mr. Russo's designs.

I know there are stock makers who custom fit shotgun stocks, so why not rifle stocks?

FWIW

If you truly want custom stock made for you, you have gotten a golden advice above.

Joel is the man and his stock works are quite the masterpiece ...

Home Page

Agreed that they look great, but synthetic is what i was wondering about.
We have a few good classic rifle builders round here, so would go local for a wood stock.
I have some experience in 3d printing, and it would be interesting to have an option to choose cheekweld a,b or c, pistol grip a,b or c, lop, etc etc and then have it printed or machined in foam and coated.

It is like some shotgun manufacturers have done, they have a measuring jig in the store, and they fill in your measurements for made to order delivery. With the huge aftermarket there is for rifle stocks, it seems weird they don't do it more.

I know this an older thread but look at MPI in Oregon. I have a rifle being built now and when I was in the planning stages I had the same thought about wanting a custom fitted stalk. I happen to run in to them at the Sportsman Show in Portland and after talking to them they fitted me and told me exactly what to order if I chose to Order one from them. After looking around I couldn't find much and ended up having them build for me. I'm building a mountain pack rifle and wanted something really light weight.

They added some cheek support, lengthened the pull to 14.5" and the reach to the trigger is being lengthened 1" for me. I got to handle it when it came into my smith before he fitted the action and barrel and I'm really happy with it.

Kris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.