LRH Group Hunt For 2015 - High Country Wyoming Mule Deer **FILLED**

Who is the last guy in this group?If you want to compare notes and hunting stores give a shout.I plan on this being a great hunt.Larry

Here are some pictures from 2015 hunter Larry Lombard.

Larry shot a true stud of a deer. 32 or 33 inches wide if I remember right.

Of of his pictures includes me next to him and another includes outfitter Robb Wiley.

Let's see if we can get pix from some of the other 2015 deer hunters.

Attachments

• DSCN0156-Larry.jpeg
    DSCN0156-Larry.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN0162.jpeg
    DSCN0162.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0167.jpeg
    DSCN0167.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 119
and here is my own cover shot. I shot the deer with my new LRR Mountain Rifle chambered in 6.5 SAUM 4s.

CLICK HERE to read the story of my deer hunt.
LRH_magazine_October_2015.jpg

I hunted Region G mule deer unguided this season and loved every minute of the challenging hunt. I didn't get the big buck I saw and targeted but I filled my tag and learned a lot while having a super exciting hunt. I also met a lot of very nice people in the area and basically fell in love with the place.

I actually spent a total of 4 weeks running around the area pre-scouting, camping and exploring, and hunting. I eventually spotted a beautiful tall racked bruiser of a buck from over a mile away that I decided to backpack in after. I passed on about a dozen nice shooters while in pursuit of the beast during a week of backpacking the high country.

The steep terrain and long range shot opportunities in this rugged country convinced me that I need a new ultralight long range hunting rig, the Ultimate LR Ultralight, if you will.

Len, I believe I may need this rifle:

"LRR Mountain Rifle chambered in 6.5 SAUM 4s with a Huskemaw 4-16x42 scope sporting a super-light Pierce titanium action and a lightened bolt handle. It utilizes a lighter contour barrel which was fluted and it is 24 inches long vs 26 on the first rifle."

I believe I could probably live without a muzzle break on it, but we can discuss this.
Have you determined the total package weight of this rig, and also what velocity you are getting with the 24" barrel?

I want to be as light and compact as possible, while retaining the most power and accuracy the round offers.

Thanks,
Jeff

Len, I believe I may need this rifle:

"LRR Mountain Rifle chambered in 6.5 SAUM 4s with a Huskemaw 4-16x42 scope sporting a super-light Pierce titanium action and a lightened bolt handle. It utilizes a lighter contour barrel which was fluted and it is 24 inches long vs 26 on the first rifle."

I believe I could probably live without a muzzle break on it, but we can discuss this.
Have you determined the total package weight of this rig, and also what velocity you are getting with the 24" barrel?

I want to be as light and compact as possible, while retaining the most power and accuracy the round offers.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff, mine weighs 8.0 pounds with scope. With this cartridge and a 24 inch barrel, a 140 Berger hybrid will give up to 3100 fps. I choose to get around 3000 in order to almost double the barrel life.

Your whole adventure sounds wonderful, by the way!

Thanks Len,

The hunt in Wyoming was just wonderful. The only thing that coulda made it better would have been tagging that tall racked rascal that eluded me, but getting beat by the beast is an inspiration in itself.

If you can, please give me some details on getting a rifle of my own built like yours.
My email is xyz and my cell number is xyz.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.